Project: Bio-inspired soil amendments for afforestation projects in Arid lands
We solicit applications for a Postdoctoral or Field Engineer position in Professor Himanshu Mishra’s research Group (Interfacial Lab) at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia.
Broadly, we are developing bio-inspired sustainable materials to enhance afforestation efforts in Saudi Arabia. Specific areas of focus are:
- Plantation of trees/bushes/shrubs adapted to survive and thrive in arid environments such as Saudi Arabia.
- Application of soil-amendment materials such as biochar, moisture absorbing polymers, and super hydrophobic mulches to enhance plant survivability and growth.
- Biomass and plant phenotypical parameters quantification in afforestation projects and native plants.
- Understanding of plant requirements and limitations to survive and grow in arid lands.
- Identification of suitable areas for afforestation projects in Saudi Arabia.
- Understanding of irrigation systems suitable for afforestation in arid lands.
- Soil physico-chemical characterization and soil water budgeting in areas suitable for afforestation.
The candidate should have an PhD in agricultural engineering, plant science, or a related field; or have extensive experience and knowledge of aridland trees/bushes/shrubs that overcompensates a PhD degree. We expect the individual to be
- Independent, curiosity-driven, dedicated, and problem solver.
- Able to work in the fields throughout Saudi Arabia.
The position is ideal for a self-motivated creative engineer who wants to address the challenges of growing plants in arid lands.
Please send the CV and transcripts (BS, MS, PhD, if applicable) to Himanshu.Mishra@kaust.edu.sa
KAUST is an international graduate-level, merit-based research university dedicated to advancing scientific and technological education and research, acting as a catalyst for innovation, economic development and social prosperity in the region and the world. Our research strives to enhance the welfare of society with a special focus on four areas of global significance – food, water, energy and the environment. Based near Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, KAUST has attracted top-notch faculty and staff from all over the world, with more than 80 nations represented on campus.
In addition to an unparalleled research infrastructure, KAUST also offers terrific opportunities to pursue innovation and economic development via startups.