Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- At least 50% of your assignment will be spent on academic research in preparation of a doctoral dissertation on wood anatomy, tree growth and wood quality of trees in the face of climate change.
- You will assist in the teaching activities at the department, specifically in courses on Applied botany, Wood technology, and Inventory of Forest and Nature, among others.
- You will tutor bachelor projects and master dissertations.
- You will assist in the internal and external services of the department.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a degree of Master in Bioscience Engineering or considered as equivalent by the selection commission.
For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
– You have knowledge of or show keen interest in forests, botany/vegetation, wood, and wood anatomy, and climate change.
- You are interested in academic and/or project-based interdisciplinary research and services on the application of engineering techniques to support forest and nature management.
- Any teaching experience or participation in extra training, conferences, etc. is recommended.
- You have excellent teaching and communication skills. Since the education to which this mandate offers support is partly in a Bachelor’s degree program, you have a good knowledge of the Dutch language and are speaking Dutch fluently.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a two-year appointment, which may be renewed twice for two years, on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a junior assistant or doctoral fellow at a university within the Flemish Community, this appointment will be deducted from the maximum term of appointment, which is six years at the most according to the Codex of Higher Education.
- Your appointment will start on 1 April 2022 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP3.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see below). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv and an overview of your study results (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted.
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
Apply until 24/05/2022 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels time)
For more information about this vacancy, please contact professors Pieter De Frenne (Pieter.DeFrenne@UGent.be, +32 (0)92649030), Joris Van Acker (Joris.Vanacker@UGent.be, +32 (0)92646120) and Jan Van den Bulcke (Jan.VandenBulcke@UGent.be).