Valent U.S.A. LLC is currently searching for an Research Scientist to work with our team in R&D Field Scientist Team. This position will be based at Midwest Agricultural Research Center (MWARC).
Valent U.S.A. LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sumitomo Chemical Company, Limited, engages in the development, registration, sales and marketing of integrated technological solutions for crop production and pest management that deliver value for our customers and stakeholders. A leading crop protection firm serving the agricultural and non-crop products markets in North America, Valent products help growers produce safe and abundant food and fiber crops, and horticultural professionals improve the quality of life for their customers.
The corporate motto, Products That Work, From People Who Care®, describes the company’s business philosophy. Valent seeks out and provides customers with innovative and effective solutions to their production challenges. Our vision is to be the best company delivering integrated solutions of biorational and traditional crop protection solutions to our customers. Valent is dedicated to creating a world that is healthier and more comfortable, and that has a sustainable abundance of quality, affordable food, helping crops to be the ultimate renewable resource
This is a Research and Development (R&D) Research Scientist position located at the Valent Midwest Agricultural Research Center (MWARC), located outside of Seymour, IL. The responsibilities of an R&D Field Scientist are to: Initiate, direct and execute scientific research and/or development strategies through the planning and execution of field and lab research. Maintain a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art agronomic principles and theories. Make contributions to scientific literature, societies, and conferences. May act as spokesperson to company management and study sponsors on research and development results. Work to develop invention disclosure which may lead to patent applications. Collaborate with various departments within the Valent Group Companies. Work in collaboration with Sales and Field Development to provide real-time solutions to growers and retailers.
- Coordinate and conduct research trials with in-depth knowledge of agronomy, with a focus on weed science, for development of products (commercially-available and experimental) per the product business plan.
- Develop skills to utilize ARM and Valent’s Research Information System (RIS) to develop study protocols, analyze data and track/report results.
- Serve as the primary lead for all weed science trials at MWARC.
- Conduct sales support trials using a wide range of crop / market knowledge and experience at MWARC. This includes both product demonstration and small plot replicated studies.
- Develop technical PowerPoint presentations and literature in conjunction with Field Market Development (FMD) specialists for use at university, professional society, sales, Grower / Producer and consultant meetings.
- Lead and serve on teams and task forces; use professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- Typically a MS, PhD or equivalent, with 1-3 years of related experience in a Crop Science related discipline. A background in weed science is preferred.
- Successful candidate must be customer focused with good interpersonal skills; teamwork will be critical since candidate may interact with a large range of internal and external business partners and must demonstrate excellent communication skills.
- Experience with spreadsheets, word processing, evaluation and interpretation of data is desired.
- Candidate should be dependable, organized and result-focused. May work from remote locations with little or no direct supervision.
- Physical/Safety Requirements: Occasional travel for long distances in a vehicle or airplane. Required overnight travel is minimal. Must be able to lift a minimum of 40 lbs. Required to hold a valid driver’s license with a good driving record. Able to work outdoors in adverse conditions (heat, cold, etc.). Be able to qualify and obtain any local (state) required pesticide certification license(s).
Physical Demands and Work Environment (FIELD Position)
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands include constant walking, standing, bending at the neck and waist, squatting, climbing, kneeling, crawling, twisting at the neck and waist, simple grasping, power grasping, and fine manipulation with hands, pushing and pulling with hands, reaching above shoulder level, and lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.; also frequent lifting and carrying of up to 75 lbs., occasional sitting and lifting and carrying of up to 100+ lbs.
- Work Environment includes exposure to or working in or around moving cars, trucks, forklifts, equipment and machinery including a computer keyboard and mouse; uneven ground; excessive noise; extremes in temperature, humidity, or wetness; dust, gas, fumes, or chemicals; venomous insects and animals, heights; operation of foot controls or repetitive foot movement; use of special visual or auditory protective equipment. May be required to work outdoors in an agricultural crop field, wear respirator and other personal protection equipment.