The Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg, Faculty of Natural Sciences I, Institute of Biology, Geobotany and Botanical Garden offers the following position in the research group of Prof. H. Bruelheide, starting on Junie 1st 2022 and limited for 3 years. A prolongation for further 3 years is possible. Postdoctoral Researcher (m-f-d) As full-time employment. (100 %) The salary will be up to Entgeltgruppe 13 TV-L, if the personal requirements and tasks are fulfilled. The workplace will be Halle (Saale).
We offer an internationally active working with a research focuses on the relationship between biodiversity and ecosystem functioning (BEF) and biodiversity change. We are strongly involved in the projects of the German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research (iDiv) Halle-Jena-Leipzig. As a result, the working group has established several platforms on which biodiversity issues can be investigated experimentally or with synthesis approaches using databases, such as the DFG Graduate School TreeDì (Tree Diversity Interactions:
The role of tree-tree interactions in local neighborhoods in Chinese subtropical forests) and the strategic iDiv projects sPlot (The global vegetation database) and sMon (Analyzing trends in German species data). There is also the opportunity to participate in the interdisciplinary CRC initiative “Who owns nature?”. Excellent lab facilities are provided such as the Geobotany experimental greenhouse as well as extensive environmental analysis technologies in ecology (AAS, CN, NIRS, FieldSpec) and in molecular genetics (PCR, NGS lab).
• Research and teaching. There is the opportunity for further qualifications (habilitation).
• Acquisition of third-party funds for own research projects.
• The research focus should complement the existing research fields in the institute’s Geobotany department, whereby participation in at least one of the above-mentioned research platforms is desirable.
• Laboratory management of the site ecology and molecular genetics laboratory of the department Geobotany.
• A high level of commitment to teaching tasks (4 SWS, 4 hours per week) in the Geobotany department is expected, both in the bachelor’s programme “Biology” and in the international master’s programme “Biodiversity Sciences”.
• Master and PhD in the plant ecology, geobotany or biodiversity sciences
• Relevant publications in peer-reviewed journals in the research area mentioned
• Experiences in experimental ecology and in the design of ecological studies
• Species knowledge
• In-depth knowledge of data analysis and statistical modeling with the software R, with a focus on multivariate methods and/or spatial statistics
• Research experience in at least one of the following areas: experimental biodiversity research, biological interactions, molecular ecology (next generation sequencing)
• Very good command of written and spoken English, as evidenced by a list of international publications • Excellent communication, collaboration and team skills
Severely disabled persons are encouraged to apply and will be given preference in the case of equal suitability. Women are strongly urged to apply.
Applicants with a degree that was not obtained at a German higher education institution must submit a Statement of Comparability for Foreign Higher Education Qualifications from the Central Office for Foreign Education (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen) to prove equivalence. For queries about the research project, kindly contact Prof. Dr. Helge Bruelheide, phone +49 345 55-26222, Email: email@example.com
How to apply:
Please submit your full application dossier in English stating the registration number 5-3477/22-H until May 15th, 2022. Applications should be submitted as single PDF document via E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org; Prof. Dr. H. Bruelheide, Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg, Institute for Biology / Geobotany und Botanical Garden, Gr. Steinstraße 79/80, 06108 Halle (Saale).
Applications should include (1) a letter of motivation that shows your research profile and your interest in the position described (max. two pages), (2) a curriculum vitae including a list of publications and possible teaching experience, (3) certificates (master’s certificate, doctoral certificate) and (4) two academic references.
The position is offered with reservation of possible budgetary restrictions. Application portfolios on paper will not be returned, application costs will not be reimbursed.