Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities.
With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- You spend at least 50% of your assignment on academic research in preparation of a doctoral dissertation.
- You conduct research in the fields of plant breeding and crop husbandry; you actively seek and apply for research funding in these disciplines.
- You assist in the design, management and data analysis of field- and greenhouse trials.
- You assist in the teaching activities of the department, with a focus on plant breeding and crop husbandry.
- You coach and support students in the preparation of their bachelor or master thesis.
- You contribute to the internal and external academic services of the department.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a degree of Master of Science in Bioscience Engineering or Master of Science in Bioscience Engineering Technology: Agriculture and Horticulture. For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be provided. The diploma requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You are interested in academic and/or project-based research, academic teaching and academic services.
- You have excellent didactic and communicative skills, you excel in speaking and writing Dutch and you master the English language. Knowledge of other languages is considered a plus.
- Any teaching experience or participation in extra trainings, conferences, etc. is recommended.
- You are a creative and motivated person with a sound working mentality and you have a positive attitude.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a two-year appointment, which may be renewed twice for two years, on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a junior assistant or doctoral fellow at a university within the Flemish Community, this appointment will be deducted from the maximum term of appointment, which is six years at the most according to the Codex of Higher Education.
- Students graduating in July 2022 can apply
- Your assignment will commence on 1 September 2022 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP3.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 36 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv and an overview of your study results (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via www.naricvlaanderen.be/en). For diplomas awarded in the UK before January 31st of 2020, a certificate of equivalence is not required.
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Dirk.Reheul, dirk.reheul@UGent.be ( +32 (0)9/2646096).
→ Apply until 05/07/2022 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels time)
→ Faculty of Bioscience Engineering
→ Reference number: 202112/BW21/AS/015