We are looking for a PhD student (fully funded position) to join the lab of Amelia Rotaru at Nordcee, a section at the Department of Biology at the Faculty of Science, SDU. The lab conducts research in ecophysiology with a particular focus on electroactive microorganisms, microbe-mineral/metal, or interspecies interactions. We use electrochemistry, molecular biology, isotopic labelling, expression studies, genetic manipulations, and high-resolution microscopy tools to understand fundamental aspects of how microorganisms interact with their extracellular environment.
The position is funded by a European Research Council Consolidator grant. Together with a team of five, you will explore the impact of anthropogenic minerals on interspecies interactions involved in methane cycling. The specific aim of your project will be to study syntrophic partnerships mediated by conductive minerals (like chars or reduced iron-oxides) in coastal sediments from the Arctic and subarctic.
- An MSc degree in geomicrobiology, microbial ecology, marine microbiology, or a very closely related field
- Good organization skills in the lab, but also for sampling expeditions at sea
- Willingness to learn new methods (e.g. big sequence data analyses; bioelectrochemistry etc.) and foster standards of practice for the lab
- Willingness to travel for sea expeditions and a research stay abroad (approx. three to six months), required during PhD programmes in Denmark to foster international collaborations.
Application deadline: 1 July 2022.
Start date: 1 September 2022.
For additional information, contact Associate Professor Amelia-Elena Rotaru at email@example.com.
This position is subject to the entry into force of grant agreement no 101045149 by and between European Research Council Executive Agency (ERCEA) and SYDDANSK UNIVERSITET (SDU).
Application, salary etc.
Appointment as a PhD Research Fellow is for three years. Employment stops automatically at the end of the period. The holder of the scholarship is not allowed to have other paid employment during the three-year period. The successful applicant will be employed in accordance with the agreement on salaried PhD scholars between the Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations).
The successful candidate will be enrolled at this university in accordance with faculty regulations and the Danish Ministerial Order on the PhD Programme at the Universities (PhD order).
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Application must be made in the form of a Declaration of Interest including the following:
• A research proposal/description of your approach to the above project (max one page excluding references)
• A letter stating your specific interest, motivation and qualifications for the project in question (max. two pages) (please attach this under box “Application form”)
• Detailed CV, including personal contact information
• Copies of diplomas, Bachelor as well as Master’s degree, including transcript of notes/grades
• At least two signed reference letters. Should your referees wish to send their letters directly to us, please have them use e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning your name and the title of the position in the subject line. And please note that these also need to reach us before deadline.
Shortlisting may be used in the assessment process.
Further information about the PhD-study can be found at the homepage of the University.
Applications must be submitted electronically using the link “Apply online”. Attached files must be in Adobe PDF or Word format. Each box can only contain a single file of max. 10 Mb. We strongly recommend that you read How to apply before you apply.
Send application: Deadline 2022-July-01 You can apply for the job at Faculty of Science by completing the application form
Incomplete applications and applications received after the deadline will neither be considered nor evaluated. This also applies to reference letters.
Further information for international applicants considering applying for a job at the University of Southern Denmark. Please take a look at the webpage from our International Staff Office (ISO) at The University of Southern Denmark.