We are looking for a postdoctoral scientist to join the lab of Amelia Rotaru at Nordcee, a section at the Department of Biology at the Faculty of Science, SDU. The lab conducts research in ecophysiology with a particular focus on electroactive microorganisms, microbe-mineral/metal, or interspecies interactions. We use electrochemistry, molecular biology, isotopic labelling, expression studies, genetic manipulations, and high-resolution microscopy tools to understand fundamental aspects of how microorganisms interact with their extracellular environment.
The position is for two years with the possibility to extend one year, depending on the progress of the candidate. Possible start on 1 September 2022. The position is fully funded by a European Research Council Consolidator grant. Together with a team of five you will explore the impact of anthropogenic minerals in interspecies interactions involved in methane cycling.
The aim of your project will be to study the molecular mechanisms of how syntrophic partners interact with each other via conductive minerals. Ultimately, you will use the knowledge to apply to the environment. You will be expected to carry out network analyses to predict interspecies interactions in connection to mineral composition of the costal marine sediments we study.
- A PhD in ecophysiology, microbial ecology, microbial genetics, marine microbiology, or a very closely related field
- Documented experience (e.g. published work) with omics, microbiome network analyses, gene deletion studies in organisms like Geobacter or methanogens
- Experience with teaching and training students and staff
- Good organization skills in the lab, but also for sampling expeditions at sea
- Willingness to learn new methods (e.g. transposon mutagenesis, Crispr, big sequence data analyses; bioelectrochemistry etc.) and foster standards of practice for the lab.
This position is subject to the entry into force of grant agreement no by and between European Research Council Executive Agency (ERCEA) and SDU.
For further information please contact Amelia-Elena Rotaru at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application, salary etc.
The successful applicant will be employed in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations).
The application must include the following:
• A motivation letter
• A curriculum vitae including information on previous employment and documenting and explaining how your experience matches the job advertised
• A full list of publications stating the scientific
publications on which the applicant wishes to rely and with links to the online articles
• Two letters of recommendation.
To qualify you must have passed a PhD or equivalent. Applications will be assessed by an expert assessor/committee. Applicants will be informed of their assessment by the university.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Applications must be submitted electronically using the link “Apply online. Attached files must be in Adobe PDF or Word format. Each box can only contain a single file of max. 10 Mb. We strongly recommend that you read How to apply before you apply.
Send application: Deadline 2022-July-01
You can apply for the job at Faculty of Science by completing the application form
Further information for international applicants considering applying for a job at the University of Southern Denmark. Please take a look at the webpage from our International Staff Office (ISO) at The University of Southern Denmark.