The Institute of Rural Studies of the Johann Heinrich von Thünen Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries in Braunschweig invites applications for a full-time five-year temporary position to be filled as soon as possible as researcher (f/m/d) (PostDoc agricultural sciences)
Against the background of the German federal government’s increasing need for science-based advice on the further development of the green architecture of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP, the goal of this PostDoc position is to examine the environmental impacts of the green architecture (enhanced conditionality, eco-schemes, environmentally relevant measures of the second pillar), to analyse options for improvements within the existing legal framework and to identify and evaluate options for the CAP after 2027.
In doing so, the institu-tional challenges and opportunities for an efficient coordination of the relevant promotion and regulatory in-struments will be identified. The Thünen-Institute of Rural Studies works to develop a scientific basis for the sustainable development of rural areas and derives decision-making aids for political action. The position is lodged in the activity field „Land use and protection of natural resources“.
The proposed position will serve the candidate’s further qualification, with the goal of qualifying for advanced tasks in the field of scientifically-based policy advice for the German government. The employment contract is temporary in accordance with § 2 para. 1 of the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz (German Act on Fixed-term Scientific Contracts).
– Elaboration of an further development concept for RAUMIS
– Organisational and technical implementation of the concept
– Assistance with the development of model interfaces
– Support of the development and implementation of model application and documentation workflows
– Model-based policy assessments in the field of agricultural water protection
– Scientifically-based policy advice in the fields of agriculture and water protection
– Presentation and publication of results for the scientific community
– University degree in the field of agricultural sciences, or similar disciplines (M.Sc., Univ.-Dipl.)
– Ph.D., preferably in field of agriculture-agricultural policy-environmental impacts (required)
– Very good knowledge of methods for quantitative, spatially differentiated economic/ecological analysis using computer-based models, in particular on the basis of statistical/econometric procedures or economic optimisation procedures (required).
– Very good knowledge of agricultural economics (beneficial)
– Good knowledge of policy instruments (ordinance and funding law) in the field of agriculture and the envi-ronment is desirable.
– Very good knowledge of relevant software (e. g., R, GAMS, GIT) (beneficial)
– Experience with complex modelling systems or big data (beneficial)
– Creativity, intellectual curiosity, and enthusiasm
– Enjoyment of scientific work
– Ability and interest in independently developing your field of activity
– Ability to analyse and clearly express complex issues
– Willingness to learn new methods and to familiarize yourself with new thematic fields
– Goal-oriented and independent work style, combined with personal initiative and professional stamina
– Ability and willingness to work in interdisciplinary teams
– Good command of German and English (written and spoken)
We offer a position in a dynamic socio-economic research institute with lively interdisciplinary exchange and proximity to current policy-relevant discussions. You will be given a high level of personal freedom to pursue your ideas. As the professional and personal development of our employees matters to us, we offer a wide range of opportunities for further training and qualification.
We support the compatibility of work and family and hold a certificate from berufundfamilie. Specifically, the Thünen Institute offers flexible working time models, home office and teleworking opportunities. Part-time em-ployment is generally possible.
The employment is regulated by the Collective Agreement for Public Services (TVöD-Bund). If the personal re-quirements are met, the salary is tariff-category 13 TVöD.
The Thünen Institute promotes professional equality between women and men and expressly welcomes applica-tions from women.
The Thünen Institute is committed to inclusion. Applications from people with severe disabilities are explicitly welcome. They will be given special consideration in the selection process.
Dr. Norbert Röder (E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: ++49-151-22468436) will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the advertised position.
Please apply online by June 22, 2022 (receipt at the Institute of Rural Studies)
with the following documents in one PDF file:
a) Cover letter with your motivation, tabular CV including your education, professional experience, publi-cation record and copies of all relevant certificates
and, additionally, together in one additional PDF file:
b) two of your publications, including an explanation why you think these two publications are significant for your application (max. 1 page)
Prof. Dr. Peter Weingarten
Thünen Institut für Lebensverhältnisse in ländlichen Räumen
Bundesallee 64, 38116 Braunschweig