The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) is transitioning into a unified One CGIAR. Over the course of 2022, the simulation modeling expertise currently housed within IFPRI’s Development Strategy and Governance Division (DSGD) and Environment and Production Technology Division (EPTD) are expected be housed within a Foresight and Policy Modeling unit charged with developing transformation strategies for food, land, and water system.
Within this context, the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as an Associate Research Fellow or Research Fellow (depending on skills and experience). This is a two-year, renewable, exempt appointment based at IFPRI’s Washington, DC Office. Please note that Associate Research Fellow appointments at IFPRI have a maximum term of three (3) years, inclusive of any approved appointment extensions.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated aptitude with simulation modeling including computable general equilibrium models, interest in developing and operating modeling suites that link biophysical and economic models, and experience in the analysis of decision-making under risk and uncertainty. Areas of research are expected to be developed in accordance with the intersection of the interests and skills of the successful candidate and the objectives of the Foresight and Policy Modeling unit. Examples of potential areas of research include appropriate responses by national level policy-making organs, such as Ministries of Finance and Central Banks, to the challenges posed by climate change; global level trends including pathways to net zero emissions by 2050; regional strategies for growth and development in a context of climate change; and rigorous assistance to countries in formation of public investment plans.
It is anticipated that about 80 percent of the job will be dedicated to applied research, and the remaining 20 percent will be allocated to capacity-building, policy engagement, and outreach activities supporting evidence-based policy analysis.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Conducting research, particularly deploying structural models, in the service of One CGIAR’s mission to facilitate positive transformation of food, land, and water systems.
- Supporting efforts to strengthen the capacity of partner organizations and networks to conduct scholarly research and communicate evidence-based policy recommendations.
- Preparing project reports, research papers, presentations, and peer-reviewed journal articles in collaboration with CGIAR researchers other collaborators and partners.
- Regularly communicating research outputs via policy seminars, policy briefs, and peer-reviewed publications to a broad spectrum of stakeholders, including researchers, academics, policymakers, and government officials.
- The successful candidate will work with a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team of researchers and is expected to engage in a broad range of research projects and activities consistent with the research program of the Foresight and Policy Monitoring unit.
- PhD in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Development Economics, Applied Economics, or closely related field
- Significant expertise in using partial equilibrium (PE) or computable general equilibrium (CGE) and other simulation models to evaluate policies related to food, land, and water systems.
- Demonstrated capabilities in quantitative analysis and ability to use economic theory and methods in innovative and policy-relevant ways to examine agricultural development issues.
- Expertise in analyzing large data sets such as national-level household surveys.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well both with a team and independently.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, take initiatives to resolve issues and effectively work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Willingness to travel extensively (including internationally) as required.
Additional requirements at the Research Fellow level:
- At least 3 years of post-PhD experience relevant to the job and demonstrated fundraising experience.
- Excellent publication record in peer-reviewed journals.
- Major external recognition within professional peer network based on publications and other leadership activities.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and successful experience building and managing teams.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and strong experience building and managing teams.
- Excellent publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- Major external recognition within peer professional network due to publications and other leaderships activities
- Demonstrated ability to construct social accounting matrices for developing countries; and/or to conduct analysis using household survey-based econometrics.
- Relevant research experience as applied to developing country contexts in Africa, Asia, and/or Latin America.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality written reports, oral presentations, blog posts, and other forms of written and oral communications associated with scholarly research outputs
Physical Demand & Work environment
- Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds.
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading.