The University of Kassel is a modern and growing University with round about 25.000 students. It has an extraordinary wide section with expertise of nature, technique, culture and society. The following position is available in the Faculty of Organic Agricultural Sciences (FB11), Section Animal Husbandry in the Tropics and Subtropics (Prof. Eva Schlecht) starting 01.09.2022: Scientific Assistant (m/f/d), EG 13 TV-H, temporary, full-time (currently 40 hours per week)
The section Animal Husbandry in the Tropics and Subtropics is jointly established by the University of Kassel and the University of Göttingen. Administratively it is located at the University of Kassel, but has service duties at both universities. The section analyses the role of livestock in pastoral as well as smallholder rural and urban systems, focusing on aspects of animal nutrition and environmental impacts of livestock keeping.
- Scientific collaboration and support, in research and teaching, in the field of Animal Husbandry in the Tropics and Subtropics on topics of animal nutrition, animal-environment interactions, ecosystem services of livestock-based land use systems, and greenhouse gas emissions with a regional focus on Africa and Asia.
- Independent acquisition of third-party funding and own research in at least one of the fields mentioned above.
- Teaching in the Bachelor’s and (English-language) Master’s programmes at the universities of Kassel and Göttingen.
- The successful candidate will be employed by the University of Kassel; work hours are to be distributed equally across the universities of Kassel (Witzenhausen campus) and Göttingen. In the context of supervising research projects in various (sub-)tropical countries, up to three stays abroad of several weeks duration are to be anticipated each year.
- A university degree in agricultural sciences or a closely related discipline, with a focus on livestock sciences, completed with very good to good results, as well as a doctorate in agricultural sciences or a closely related discipline, with a focus on livestock sciences, completed with very good to good results. The required degrees must be officially held on the recruitment date at the latest.
- Demonstrated process-oriented research experience in livestock sciences, with a focus on animal nutrition.
- Proven research experience in (sub-)tropical countries and willingness to independently conduct field research in rural areas of Africa and/or Asia
- Profound theoretical and methodological knowledge in farm animal nutrition
- Experience in teaching at BSc and/or MSc level
- Knowledge of common computer applications, good knowledge in the use of R
- Very good knowledge of written and spoken English
- Ability to work in a team, and interest in interdisciplinary cooperation with colleagues
- Proven teaching experience in livestock sciences and in particular in the subject area of animal nutrition and/or animal husbandry systems in the tropics and subtropics
- Proven research experience in the field of livestock production in the tropics and subtropics
- Proven subject-specific and interdisciplinary publications
- Successful (co-)application and acquisition of third-party funding
- Good knowledge of data management
- Good knowledge of written and spoken French
- Good organisational skills
- Experience in science communication to interested public audience
The research work at (sub-)tropical locations requires physical and mental resilience of the successful applicant. For further information please contact Prof. Dr. Eva Schlecht, E-Mail: Schlecht(at)uni-kassel.de, Tel.: +49 561 804-1201.
As an employee of the University of Kassel
- you will be offered an interesting and diverse range of tasks within the framework of a modern and ambitious university,
- you will be part of an interdisciplinary team with a good and collegial working atmosphere,
- you will have the opportunity to participate in professional and interdisciplinary further education measures,
- your workplace is centrally located in the city of Kassel with good public transport connections, which you can currently use for free.
In addition, you will benefit from the advantages of employment in the public service such as:
- an additional company pension (VBL),
- an optional child supplement in accordance with TV-Hessen, a family-friendly university (including childcare for emergencies),
- an annual bonus
- an entitlement to capital-accumulation benefits,
- a promotion of voluntary commitment,
- low-cost participation in university sports and a full range of fitness activities as part of Unifit, as well as workplace health management.
The protection of your personal information is very important to us, so we will handle your personal information with care. By your application, you allow us the storage and use in the sense of the Hessian Data Protection and Freedom of Information Act. You can object to this at any time. Your personal data will be deleted.
The University of Kassel is very interested in the professional satisfaction of its employees. It is distinguished as a family-friendly university and, in the interests of equal opportunities, strives to offer everyone the same opportunities for development and to counteract existing disadvantages. It promotes the Family Welcome Service and also the Dual Career Service for positions that are scientifically and academically filled. One of the strategic goals of the University of Kassel is to significantly increase the proportion of women in research and teaching.
Applications from women are therefore particularly welcome. Seriously handicapped and equivalent applicants are given preference if they have the same suitability, qualifications and professional performance. Full-time positions are generally divisible (except when filling civil servant positions). Applications indicating the Position Number, which may be in digital form, should be sent to the President of the University of Kassel, 34109 Kassel, Germany or email@example.com, quoting the applicable reference number.
Please send your application with the usual informative documents, stating the reference number in the subject line, via the online form below. In exceptional cases, we will also accept your application documents in paper form addressed to: The President of the University of Kassel, 34109 Kassel, Germany, or via mail to bewerbungen[at]uni-kassel.de, stating the reference number, Reference: 35173.
In the case of postal applications, please submit only copies of your documents (no folders), as these cannot be returned. All documents will be destroyed after completion of the selection process in compliance with data protection regulations. The position is initially limited to 3 years with the possibility of extension for a further 3 years; qualification position according to § 65 HessHG i. V. mit § 2 Abs. 1 Satz 2 WissZeitVG. The position offers the possibility to elaborate a habilitation thesis.
Deadline: 11.07.2022, Date of Hire: 01.09.2022