The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
Within the framework of new cooperations in the field of periglacial vegetation development with other Helmholtz centres, we offer a PhD position (f/m/x) to survey and analyse the development of vegetation and its ecosystem functions in glacier forelands of the Alps. Working time 65%, contract duration: 3 years from 01.10.2022
- Collection of vegetation data in glacier forelands
- Measurement of selected functional features
- Measurement of selected ecosystem functions
- Acquisition of additional trait and environmental data
- Analysis of vegetation development,trait composition and ecosystem functions as a function of time since the beginning of vegetation development (age of foreland areas)
- Scientific publications
- Degree (Master, Diploma) in biology, ecology, geoecology or comparable courses of study.
- Experience in the field of vegetation methods (vegetation surveys)
- Knowledge of flora
- Experience in high mountains and the ability to hike several hours a day and 1000 metres in altitude with luggage and equipment.
- Orientation skills in the mountains.
- Ability to work independently and solve unexpected problems.
- Statistical skills (preferably in R), knowledge of data storage (databases) desirable.
- Very good knowledge of English (communication in the working group, reading technical literature, writing technical articles).
- Top level interdisciplinary research at a research centre which enjoys an excellent reputation within Germany as well as internationally
- Excellent technical facilities
- Work in inter-disciplinary and multinational teams
- Excellent links to national and international research networks
- Support and optimal training courses by our graduate school (HIGRADE)
- Remuneration in accordance with the TVöD public-sector pay grade 13
The UFZ has a strong commitment to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age or sexual identity. We look forward to applications from people who are open-minded and enjoy working in diverse teams.
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job:
Prof. Dr. Ingolf Kühn: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application via our online portal with your cover letter, CV (please omit your photo, age, or marital status) and relevant attachments.
Closing date for applications: 17.07.2022 Place of work: Halle (Saale)