Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
YOUR TASKS: At least 50% of your assignment will be spent on academic research in preparation of a doctoral dissertation. Your research focus on the role of epigenetic processes in the plant immune response, more specifically in rice.
You will assist in the teaching activities at the department, specifically courses in the field of Molecular Biology, Gene Technology, Plant-Pathogen interactions and Epigenetics. These courses are either in Dutch or English and for Bachler or Master students and you will be responsible for organizing wet lab exercises and excursions. Examples of courses are: Gene Technology & Molecular Diagnostics, Molecular Toolbox).
You will assist in the internal and external services of the department.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You already hold – or you are student in the final Master year to obtain – the degree of Master of Science in Bioscience Engineering Cell and Gene Biotechnology, Master of Science in Biotechnology or Biochemistry, Master of Science in Biochemical Engineering Technology, or an equivalent master diploma. Also students that are in the final Master year and will have the degree by the start of this position are welcome to apply. For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You are interested in academic and/or project-based research and services.
- You have good knowledge about molecular biology, gene technology, epigenetics.
- Knowledge about plant-pathogen interactions, bio-informatics and plant physiology is an asset.
- You are interested in plants and their immune system and would like to conduct molecular research on this topic.
- Any teaching experience or participation in extra training, conferences, etc. is a positive point.
- You are prepared to follow educational training offered by UGent.
- You have excellent presentation and communication skills.
- You have a good knowledge of Dutch and English, sufficient to teach in these languages.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- You will become part of a young and dynamic research group where you will get the right support to develop your professional career.
- We offer you a two-year appointment, which may be renewed twice for two years, on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a junior assistant or doctoral fellow at a university within the Flemish Community, this appointment will be deducted from the maximum term of appointment, which is six years at the most according to the Codex of Higher Education.
- Your appointment will start on 1 September 2022 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP3.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 36 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc.
Apply online through Apply now (see below). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv and an overview of your study results (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. For diplomas awarded in the UK before January 31st of 2020, a certificate of equivalence is not required.
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Tina Kyndt (tina.kyndt@UGent.be, +32 09/264 59 20).
Apply until 02/08/2022 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels time)