The Tuenen Institute of Climate-Smart Agriculture Braunschweig (Germany) invites applications, subject to final approval and presumably starting 1st of September 2022, limited to three years, for a Researcher (f/m/d) with 65 % of the regular weekly working time, in the research project „Roadmap for rewetting of organic soils (RoVer)“. The position is directed to applicants who, in addition to their employment, wish to pursue their own academic career, in particular their doctorate. In this context, the Thünen Institute for Climate-Smart Agriculture cooperates with various universities.
Drained organic soils are the most important source of greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture or agricultural soils in Germany. The overall goal of the RoVer project is the development of an implementation concept for the rewetting of these sites. For this purpose, site-specific land use concepts are developed and evaluated with regard to their mitigation potential and economic efficiency, taking into account alternative reward options.
With focus on feasibility, the extent to which institutional and legal framework conditions need to be adapted and how the transformation could be supported by participation and coordination processes, efficient subsidies and other incentive mechanisms will continue to be examined. The project combines scientific data and models with social science, economic and legal analyses.
The holder of the position is responsible for the development of a hydrological model for estimating the effects of water management measures on peatland water levels. The position is based in a working group at Thünen Institute of Climate-Smart Agriculture conducting research on national and international level in the area of organic soils.
• Analysis of existing data on peatland and surface water levels
• Research and selection of a hydrological model suitable for peatland sites
• Adaptation or further development of the selected model in order to make predictions on the impact of water management measures on surface water levels from site characteristics and area geometrics
• Development of an approach to integrate the model results into emission reporting
• Writing peer-reviewed scientific publications
• University degree (Univ.-Diplom or M.Sc.) in the field of hydrology, environmental informatics, geoecology or related subjects
• in-depth knowledge of hydrology or soil physics
• Experience in the modelling of environmental processes (e.g. hydrological models)
• Confident handling of common EDP, very good knowledge of R, Python or another programming language as well as experience in dealing with geographic information systems
• Knowledge of peatland science is an advantage
• Flexibility, team spirit, high motivation and ability to work independently and in a structured manner
• Scientific curiosity and willingness to work on a doctoral thesis
• Very good English skills required; if no knowledge of German is available, willingness to learn German
We offer a varied job on a current research topic in an interdisciplinary project, which above all includes sophisticated data evaluation on the PC. We support the compatibility of work and family and are holders of the audit berufundfamilie certificate. In order to support compatibility, the Thünen Institute offers flexible working time models, home office and teleworking within the scope of its official possibilities.
The salary is based on the collective agreement for civil service (TVÖD). Depending on the fulfilment of personal and tariff requirements the salary accounts for 65 % of level E13 TVöD. The Thünen Institute supports gender equality at work and encourages female candidates to apply for this position.
The Thünen Institute is committed to inclusion. Applications from people with severe disabilities are therefore expressly encouraged. These will be given special consideration in the selection process.
For further inquiries please contact Dr. Bärbel Tiemeyer (firstname.lastname@example.org; +49 531 596 2644) or Dr. Arndt Piayda (email@example.com; +49 531 596 2638).
Please send your application (electronically as one document) with a letter of motivation, a curriculum vitae in tabular form with an overview of the training and career path as well as copies of certificates under the password 2022-176-AK-RoVer Hydrology until 31.07.2022 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Johann Heinrich von Thuenen-Institut
Thuenen-Institut für Agrarklimaschutz
Link to announcement (only in german due to website maintenance):
Thünen Insitute of Climate-Smart Agriculture