Join our team that researches the sustainable production of high-added value chemicals from next-generation biomass resources, in a versatile role at the interface of academia and industry. Research Associate (Postdoctoral researcher) – Reaction Engineering for Biomass Valorisation 100 %
- Research innovative thermochemical pretreatment methods for lignocellulosic biomass conversion to biochemicals and -materials, with a special emphasis on the valorisation of lignin
- Lignin use in polymer applications for novel biobased materials; Lignin depolymerisation
- Enzymatic cellulose hydrolysis, potentially including the fermentation to green platform and fine chemicals
- Contribute to implementing the developed processes (e.g. transfer to pilot plant, industry collaborations)
- Presentation of research findings in peer-reviewed journals, patents and conferences
- Participate in proposal development and in networking with institutes and industrial partners
- Supervision of students on BA, MA and potentially PhD level; supervision of practical laboratory courses
- Setup of new instrumentation and maintenance of laboratory infrastructure (e.g. autoclave reactors, incubators, bioreactors); procurement of consumables and chemicals
- Contribute to building-up the new Group for Biobased Resources in a growing, young and dynamic team
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Material Sciences, Bioprocess Engineering or related fields
- In-depth experience with lignin chemistry, lignin processing (chemical, thermal or enzymatic) and lignin analytical measurement techniques
- Familiarity with lignocellulosic biomass pretreatment, enzymatic cellulose conversion and state-of-the-art methods for biomass and biopolymer analytics
- Experience with reaction engineering, benchtop reactors or process design is a plus
- Competence in experimental design and analytical method development (e.g. HPLC, GC-MS, SEC)
- Demonstrated ability to disseminate research findings through quality peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations
- Prior mentorship of junior researchers and/or industrial experience is a plus
- Curiosity and passion for research, self-motivated and autonomous, communicative and team player
- Fluent in English, knowledge of German is an asset
Do you have any other questions?
For more information regarding the vacancy, please contact Laura Hornung, Recruiting Manager. e-mail:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Are you interested?
If you would like to apply, please use the online platform to send us your portfolio, Attn. Laura Hornung, at email@example.com.