Research Assistant (PhD Student, m/f/d) in the area Plant Biochemistry (Salary Scale 13 TV-L, 67 %):
The Institute of Organic Chemistry of the Leibniz University Hannover invites applications for the position of a Research Assistant (PhD Student, m/f/d) in the area Plant Biochemistry (Salary Scale 13 TV-L, 67 %) to start at the next possible date. The position is part of the group “Biochemistry of Plant Specialised Metabolites” (Prof. Dr. Jakob Franke). The initial contract is for 3 years with a possibility for extension.
Tasks: Our young and dynamic research group studies the biochemistry of plant specialised metabolites. We offer you an opportunity to conduct a PhD thesis in the context of a competitive and exciting research project.
The aim of the research work is the elucidation of plant triterpenoid biosynthetic pathways as part of the Emmy Noether project „Limonoids and Quassinoids: Understanding and Harnessing Complex Triterpene Production and Transport in Plants“, funded by the German Research Foundation.
The tasks of the position comprise:
- Cloning and heterologous expression of gene candidates in Nicotiana benthamiana, Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Escherichia coli
- Biochemical characterisation of enzymes
- Establishing a gene silencing system in plants and conducting silencing experiments
The applicant must hold a university science degree (diploma/master or equivalent) in the area of biochemistry, plant science, biology, life science or related courses. We expect above average grades, high motivation and interest in interdisciplinary research.
In addition, the ideal applicant should have the following skills and qualifications:
- Experience with modern cloning techniques (Golden Gate cloning, Gibson assembly)
- Experience with heterologous gene expression and purification of proteins
- Experience with biochemical assays and their analysis by chromatography
- Experience with gene silencing and/or the transformation of plants
- Very good written and oral English skills for working in an international team and to fulfil research tasks
The university aims to promote equality between women and men. For this purpose, the university strives to reduce under-representation in areas where a certain gender is under-represented. Women are under-represented in the salary scale of the advertised position. Therefore, qualified women are encouraged to apply. Moreover, we welcome applications from qualified men. Preference will be given to equally-qualified applicants with disabilities.
Please send your application until 07th August 2022 as a single PDF file to
or via mail to:
Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Universität Hannover
Institut für Botanik
Prof. Dr. Jakob Franke
Herrenhäuser Str. 2
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Jakob Franke (Phone: +49 (0)511 762-16354; Email: email@example.com).