Ghent University is a world unto itself. More than 8,000 staff members work there every day in education and research, management and administration, technical and social facilities, etc. For them, Ghent University is a logical choice: it is one of the largest, most exciting and future-oriented employers of the region. Ghent University has 11 faculties and more than 80 departments, which offer high-quality and research-supported training in each of the scientific disciplines.
• You spend at least 90% of your assignment on scientific research in the context of the preparation of a doctoral thesis.
• The Leg-O project aims to improve the yield, quality and stability of field pea, field bean and red kidney bean crops, thereby minimizing the risks for the farmer. At the same time, the positive effects of these protein crops on subsequent crops are being studied, with a specific focus on baking wheat, durum wheat and malting barley. The intended rotation therefore consists of arable crops that are exclusively intended for human food. The agro-ecological principle of strip cultivation is put forward as a general tool to achieve the objectives of the project and to demonstrate a realistic prototype of functional biodiversity.
• In this research function you contribute to the planning, execution and management of the planned field trials. You play a central role in deepening the scientific aspects of the Leg-O project such as the nutrient cycles and the impact of strip cultivation on yield potential. You coordinate and collect observations of diseases as well as pests and beneficial insects throughout the growing season. You are responsible for the statistical processing of the results and you report your findings to the partners and stakeholders of the project. You publish research results in scientific journals and prepare a doctoral thesis.
• Leg-O is a four-year project in which you are administratively employed at Ghent University for the first two years and at ILVO for the following two years. During the entire duration of the project, you will carry out activities at both research institutes.
• You have (or will soon have) an MSc degree in Bioscience Engineering: Agriculture or MSc in Life Sciences: Agriculture and Horticulture
• You have a good knowledge of phytotechnique, test technique and statistical data processing
• You are interested in agroecology and sustainable plant production systems
• You have knowledge of the R programming language for performing statistical analyses
• You are flexible with regard to the seasonal work rhythm associated with field trials
• You are communicative and can express yourself well in Dutch and English, both spoken and written
• You are scientifically minded, eager to learn on the one hand and critical on the other
• You have a driving license B
• We offer you a contract for an indefinite period with a clause of 2 years
• The remuneration is according to scale WM1 .
• Furthermore, every UGent staff member can count on a number of advantages, such as a wide range of education and training, 36 days of holiday leave (on an annual basis for a full-time position) supplemented with annually fixed bridge days, a bicycle allowance, eco vouchers, etc. A complete overview of our staff benefits .
You can only apply online via e-recruitment until the registration deadline (see below). We do not accept late applications or applications not delivered through the online application.
You must enclose the following documents with your application:
• In the ‘Cv’ field : your resume
• In the field ‘Motivation letter’ : your motivation letter
• In the field ‘Diploma’ : a copy of the required diploma (if already in your possession)
• In the field “Other documents” : your study results
Note: each field is limited to a maximum of 10 MB.
Ghent University pursues an equal opportunities and diversity policy and therefore encourages everyone to apply.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Steven Maenhout ( Steven.Maenhout@UGent.be ). Please note: do not send your application by e-mail, but apply online.
→ Apply until 31-07-2022 23:59 (Brussels time) → Faculty of Bioscience Engineering → Department: BW21 – Plants and Crops → Employment percentage: 100% → Number of positions: 1 → Type of employment: Contract for an indefinite period with stipulation of 4 year → Duration of the assignment: 2 years → Barema offered: WM1 to WM4 (Master’s degree) → Diploma requirement: Master