You want to make a PhD in forest ecology and conservation? We are looking for a person with a strong interest in biodiversity to study differences in insect and fungal communities between forest reserves in Bavaria differing in size and time since designation.
Within the project “Bavarias new forest reserves: Effects on forest structure and biodiversity” financed by the Bavarian State Ministry for Agriculture and Forestry, we will study how characteristics of forest reserves affect biodiversity of fungi, insects and birds. In particular, we are interested in the effects of reserve size and time since management ceased.
The study will cover three major forest types in Bavaria, i.e. mountain forests in the Alps, floodplain forests along the rivers Isar and Danube and colline broadleafed forests in Franconia. Your tasks include site selection (i.e. GIS work and negotiations with local authorities), field work (i.e. setting-up and managing insect traps, coordinating soil samplings), data analyses and writing of scientific publications.
- Full university degree (Diploma/M.Sc.) in in biology, ecology, forest science, environmental planning or a related discipline.
- Strong interest in biodiversity, community ecology and conservation.
- Sound knowledge in scientific programming in R.
- Fluent in English and German, in reading and writing.
- Good communication skills and ability to work in a team.
- Ability to conduct field work.
- You have the opportunity to develop a profile as a forest ecologist with a broad scope bridging basic and applied ecology and with a clear focus on conservation.
- Our interdisciplinary research team offers a stimulating working environment.
- A salary in accordance to TV-L E13 (65 %).
- The candidate should preferably start in October 2022. The position will be limited to three years.
- TUM is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified people of all gender are encouraged to apply. TUM strives to increase the proportion of women, so applications from women are especially welcome. Applicants with disabilities will be given preference, if they essentially have the same qualifications.
Please send your application, including a cover letter, a detailed CV with a list of publications if available, certificates and contact information of two referees in the form of a single pdf-file to Violeta Aramayo (firstname.lastname@example.org) until August 28th, 2022.
For further inquiries, please contact PD Dr. Sebastian Seibold (email@example.com).
Data Protection Information:
When you apply for a position with the Technical University of Munich (TUM), you are submitting personal information. With regard to personal information, please take note of the Datenschutzhinweise gemäß Art. 13 Datenschutz-Grundverordnung (DSGVO) zur Erhebung und Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihrer Bewerbung. (data protection information on collecting and processing personal data contained in your application in accordance with Art. 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)). By submitting your application, you confirm that you have acknowledged the above data protection information of TUM.