Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, as well as technical and social service provision on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With its 11 faculties and more than 80 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its staff and students.
- As a post-doc researcher you are responsible for the implementation and follow-up of a research project studying the role of polyploidy, genetic diversity and genome stability on stress adaptation and agronomic traits in grasses. This research is part of the overarching UGent Methusalem project: ‘Studying the mechanistic underpinnings and applications of polyploidy through genomics, experimental evolution, modeling, and Artificial Intelligence’, and is a collaboration between UGent and ILVO. You work under a UGent contract, but your place of employment is ILVO (Plant Sciences Unit, Caritasstraat 39, Melle). Within the Methusalem project you will work together with a PhD student (yet to be recruited) and a laboratory technician.
You may be asked to take on the following tasks:
- Project coordination (elaboration and follow-up of a general research plan and PhD project, screening of literature and protocols, day-to-day management of a PhD and laboratory technician).
- Plan, supervise and carry out field and lab work when necessary: tissue culture lab (haploid induction, polyploidization, embryo rescue), setting up crossbreeding schemes and field tests, (stress) phenotyping, genome constitution analysis via cytogenetic and molecular techniques, bioinformatics and (NGS ) genome and transcriptome data analysis.
- Project communication: organizing meetings/consultations with team members and project partners, networking, publishing and reporting.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a thesis-based doctorate (obtained max. 6 years ago. This term of 6 years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma).
Preferably you hold a PhD in Engineering, Bioscience Engineering, Sciences: Bioinformatics or Biology or equivalent.
- You have performed a maximum of 3 years postdoc research in a university or other institution of higher education.
- Hands-on experience plant tissue cultivation (lab) and/or field trials
- Experience with molecular analysis
- Experience with bioinformatics for genome and transcriptome data analysis
- Writes and speaks fluently in English, preferably also in Dutch
- Strong communication skills
- Planned and Organizational strong
- Widely applicable
- Team player
- Experience with plant phenotyping connected to genetic network analysis
- Experience with writing research plans and/or publications
- Experience in executing or functioning within a multi-partner project/research network
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a contract of indefinite duration with a minimum term of 3 years and a maximum term of 6 years.
- Your contract will start on 15/09/2022 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined by salary scale PD1
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 36 days of holiday leave (on an annual basis for a full-time job) supplemented by annual fixed bridge days, a bicycle allowance and eco vouchers..
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see below). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not submitted through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘CV’: your CV and an overview of your study results (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact
Tom Ruttink, senior onderzoeker bij ILVO-Plant, 09 272 28 78, email@example.com
Leen Leus, senior onderzoeker bij ILVO-Plant, 09 272 28 84, firstname.lastname@example.org.. Important: do NOT send your application by email, but apply online.