The Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing BAM is a German material research institute. BAM sets global standards for safety. Safety creates markets: The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM) is a senior scientific and technical Federal institute with responsibility to the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action. It tests, researches and advises to protect people, the environment and material goods.
Safety creates markets. BAM sets and represents high standards for safety in technology and chemistry for Germany and for its global markets, to further develop the successful “Made in Germany” culture of quality. BAM fulfils this role through its dedicated employees. Around 1,600 people from about 50 nations work at BAM.
To strengthen our team in the division 4 “Material and Environment” in Berlin-Steglitz, starting as soon as possible, we are looking for a PhD student (m/f/d) in the field of entomology, molecular biology, bioinformatics, population genetics or genomics
Salary group 13 TVöD
Temporary contract for 36 months
65% of the regular collectively agreed working hours
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
- Work on the DFG-funded project “Dynamics in termite chromosome evolution: lnbreeding, novel chromosome translocations and sociality”
- Sequencing of 3 Mediterranean termite reference genomes and whole genome resequencing of population samples
- Field collections of population samples across the Mediterranean range
- Genomic analysis of population dynamics to explore how chromosome ring structures influence adaptation and speciation
- Coordinate with project collaborator to carry out karyotyping, sequencing, and population genetic analysis
- Active participation in the DFG-priority program “Genomic Basis of Evolutionary Innovations (GEvol) (SPP 2349)”
- Prepare manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Produce a doctoral thesis
- Present research at international scientific conferences
- Successfully completed university degree (master’s degree/diploma) in the field of entomology, molecular biology, bioinformatics, population genetics or genomics
- Practical experience with insects/animals
- Practical experience in molecular biology
- An in-depth understanding of evolutionary biology and genetics
- Experience in quantitative and statistical analysis of data using python, R or similar
- knowledge of (bio)informatic approaches to analyzing large datasets, including nucleotide sequence data
- Excellent command of spoken and written English
- Good communication and information behaviour; goal-oriented and structured way of working; initiative/commitment; ability to work in a team/willingness to cooperate; conceptual, strategic and innovative thinking skills
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and mobile working
We welcome applications via the online application form by 31.08.2022. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 199/22-4.0 to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM)
Referat Z.3 – Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfilment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognised severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a high level of physical aptitude.
BAM actively supports the compatibility of work and family and has been certified as a family- and life-phase-conscious employer by the “audit berufundfamilie” since 2015.