Apply to the IMPRS ‘From Molecules to Organisms’ Are you interested in doing a PhD with us? We welcome applications from talented and ambitious individuals, from all nationalities, to join the IMPRS ‘From Molecules to Organisms’.
We have two annual recruitment rounds. Between application rounds you may submit a speculative application to MPI and FML faculty. You need to fulfill the application criteria below to be eligible to apply.
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply you need to
- hold, or expect to hold, a Masters (or Diplom) degree in Natural or Computer Science. All prior degree work must be finished before the PhD start date.
- Bachelors-only applicants: Exceptionally talented students holding only a Bachelors degree may be admitted. You should hold a 4-years honors degree, have excellent grades and possess extensive and relevant research experience. Additional study requirements may be assigned.
- be able to show that your interests, skills and knowledge match well with your proposed area of doctoral research.
- be able to demonstrate a high level of written and spoken English.
If you obtained your degree(s) OUTSIDE the European Higher Education Areayour application should include scores from the GRE General Test. To have your scores forwarded to us online, supply our institution code: 4791. In general, successful applicants have scored above 152 on the verbal test and above 155 on the quantitative test.
Applicants with an Indian GATE score can supply this instead of, or as well as, the GRE.
What is the selection process for the application rounds?
- Review: Once applications are submitted and the application deadline has passed, they arereviewed. Sometimes there will be a short online interview with a member of faculty to clarify a few points. Shortlisted candidates will then be invited for the interview days.
- Interview days: The interview days usually take place 8-10 weeks after the application deadline. Detailsregarding the interview process will be sent to successful applicants within 4-6 weeks of the application deadline. If you do not hear from us you have not been shortlisted for an interview.
- Offers: Successful candidates will receive an offer around 3 weeks after the interview days
- Start date: New PhD students should be ready to join the school in September (spring application round) or January/February (summer application round). Exact start dates will be agreed individually with the advisors.
Applying outside the application rounds
We encourage you to apply in one of our application rounds. You may though submit a speculative application directly to MPI and FML faculty members outside of the application rounds.
To submit a speculative application please send an email to the faculty member you would like to work with including:
- a brief outline of your goals and interests
- your CV
- a list of references
You can find information about all our faculty and who is currently recruiting PhD students on our faculty pages. We are committed to employing more disabled individuals and especially encourages them to apply. Overall, the Max Planck Society strives to increase diversity in all scientific fields. We particularly welcome applications from persons with backgrounds that have so far been underrepresented in science and research with regard to gender, age, professional and cultural background, family situation, sexual orientation, and nationality.
Summer application round in 2022:
Application opens: 1 July 2022
Application deadline:5 September 2022
How do I apply?
To start your application for the IMPRS ‘From Molecules to Organisms’ you need to register and then complete the online application form during our annual application round. Before you apply we recommend that you look at the information needed for the application.