Call for a Doctoral Scholarship funded by the National Science Center as part of the project „Epigenetic Reprograming and All-trans-Retinoic Acid in Therapy of Myelodysplastic Syndromes” no. 2021/41/B/NZ5/04397
Description of tasks:
Myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) are a variety of clonal stem cell disorders characterized by bone marrow failure and an increased risk of transformation into acute myeloid leukemia (AML). We recently discovered that combination therapy with all-trans-retinoic acid (ATRA) and an antidepressant (TCP, tranylcypromine) under laboratory conditions has a strong anti-leukemic effect. Both of these drugs are used for other medical conditions.
Using new genomic technologies, we plan to better understand the mechanism of action of ATRA/TCP, which will allow them to be used in the low-cost and non-cytotoxic treatment of patients with MDS and AML who desperately need more effective and safer therapies.
The doctoral student will carry out a doctoral project under the supervision of prof. Artur Zelent and dr Łukasz Szymański as part of the NCN OPUS21 project.
We can offer:
1. Doctoral scholarship in accordance with the regulations of the National Science Center
2. Modern laboratory infrastructure
3. Friendly work atmosphere
- Master’s degree or equivalent in biology, biotechnology or similar (or obtaining such degree by September 30).
2. Fluency in spoken and written English.
3. Experience in laboratory work, including the basics of molecular biology.
4. Experience in working on cell lines will be an additional advantage.
5. Willingness to work with animals (mouse).
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office and the use of statistical programs.
7. Independence, reliability, high motivation in the implementation of research tasks and the ability to work in a team.
8. Mobility (the workplace is located in Jastrzębiec – 25 km from Warsaw).
The application should contain:
- CV with particular emphasis on previous scientific achievements,
- Cover letter,
- Diploma of obtaining a master’s degree (certified copy) with a diploma supplement,
- Contact address (email) of the person who can present the candidate’s recommendation letter (supervisor / current employer),
- The selected candidate receiving the doctoral scholarship will be a participant of the Doctoral School of Animal Sciences and Food Safety in accordance with the recruitment rules
- The candidate is obliged to fill in the consent to the processing of personal data for recruitment
Conditions of employment:
Date of commencement of studies at the Doctoral School of Animal Sciences and Food Safety: 01.10.2022
Contract duration: 36 months
Documents should be submitted in electronic form (pdf) to the address email@example.com in the subject of the e-mail, please write ,,Name Surname – OPUS21-A.Zelent”.
Deadline for submitting offers: 31.08.2022
The Institute of Genetics and Animal Biotechnology of the Polish Academy of Sciences has the HR Excellence in Research logo awarded by the European Commission to institutions which implement rules of the “European Charter for Researchers” and the “Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers”.
Scholarship holders will be selected by a committee appointed by the Director of the Institute of Genetics and Animal Biotechnology of the Polish Academy of Sciences will take place in accordance with par. 14 of the Regulations for the granting of scientific scholarships in research projects financed from the National Science Centre of March 14, 2019 and with point 2.1.3 Remuneration and scholarships for students and doctoral students of Annex 2 to the Regulations on awarding funds for the implementation of tasks financed by the National Science Center in the field of research projects.