We are looking for a candidate to carry out a PhD Thesis through a predoctoral contract of up to 4 years under the GenT2022 Plan project of the Generalitat Valenciana entitled “ABACuS: Deciphering the mechanisms underlying copper (Cu) deficiency and abscisic acid (ABA) crosstalk to reduce fruit quality loss”. ABACuS aims to characterize the role of ABA in Cu homeostasis and how this relationship can affect fruit quality in tomato. We will study the influence of ABA in the mechanisms underlying Cu deficiency response in tomato plants and fruits.
We will evaluate whether the content of this hormone is related to changes in cuticle composition/properties and/or in the higher susceptibility to fruit ‘cracking’ and pathogen infection. We will develop and characterize new genetic lines that might help to improve Cu uptake and redistribution to edible parts and the fruit quality and nutritional value. The exact definition of the PhD project will be discussed with the candidate. The work will be carried out at the Department of Food Biotechnology, Physiology, Pathology and Postharvest Biotechnology Group, of the Institute of Agrochemistry and Food Technology (IATA), belonging to the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC), in Paterna, Valencia, Spain.
– Highly motivated candidate with interest in starting his/her research career and who holds a Bachelor’s Degree related to Health Sciences (Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology,…), Food Sciences (Nutrition and Dietetics, Agricultural Engineering,…) or similar, with competitive academic record.
– The academic situation of the candidates must allow them to access a Doctoral Program of a University of the Comunitat Valenciana, which requires to be in possession of a Master’s Degree related to the Bachelor’s Degree they hold. Candidates must be enrolled or admitted in a Doctoral Program for the academic year 2022/2023 at the time of submission of the application or be in readiness to be enrolled or admitted on the date on which the contract is formalized (estimated for January 2023).
It will be valued:
– Demonstrable previous experience in a research laboratory. The contact of the supervising investigators of the Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree practicum (or equivalent) must be provided.
– Basic knowledge in plant physiology, biochemistry and molecular biology.
– Previous contributions in articles published in scientific journals, papers presented at congresses or any other contribution that allows assessing the research activity developed so far. Stays in national and international centers will also be valued.
– A medium/high level of English, spoken and written, as well as basic knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint, will be very positively valued although they are not a requirement.
– Qualities such as the ability to work individually and in a team, planning and organizational skills, effort, humility, responsibility, social and communication skills will be positively valued.
– Temporary full-time contract (40h/week).
– According to the bases of the call: Approx. 16,700 € / year.
– Estimated start date: January 2023.
Suitable and unsuitable CVs will be identified according to the academic background requirements. Applicants who do not meet the requirements indicated in the candidate profile will not pass to the next phase. Selected CVs will be evaluated considering the motivation/presentation letter and the comments from the recommendation letter. The Selection Committee will be composed of Paco Romero (Project Leader) and María Teresa Lafuente (Collaborator). Selected participants will be informed by email for a personal interview before November 15th.
How To Apply:
Those interested should send a cover/motivation letter (2500 characters with spaces; 1 page) and a CV to: Paco Romero (firstname.lastname@example.org) by November 1st, 2022. A reference letter (preferably from the Director of the Master Practicum or equivalent) is optional but will be taken into account for assessment.
Application Deadline: 01/11/2022 00:00 – Europe/Brussels