The position is to be filled in the third-party funded project “RESPECT” and is to be filled on a fixed-term basis in accordance with § 2 WissZeitVG and § 72 HessHG with the opportunity for own academic qualification at the Institute of Landscape Ecology and Resource Management, Faculty Agricultural Sciences, Nutritional Sciences and Environmental Management.
The salary is in accordance with the collective labour agreement of the State of Hessen (E 13 TV-H). As long as the maximum permissible duration of a fixed-term contract is not exceeded, you will be employed for a period of 3 years.
About RESPECT: Tropical mountain rainforests and dry forests in southern Ecuador are threatened by climate and land use changes. The aim is to analyse the reaction of these ecosystems on climate and land use changes using a process based model and to develop policy recommendations. For this purpose, the Land Surface Model “HUMBOL-TD”, which is currently being developed in the project, will be used. The working group of the JLU Gießen is in charge of the representation of hydrological processes in this model and uses stable isotopes of water in particular.
Your tasks at a glance:
• You will develop and test a new module for the simulation of the turnover and transport of stable isotopes of water and couple this module it with the hydrological submodel of HUMBOL TD
• You will contribute to the further development of the hydrological submodel of HUMBOL-TD
• You will support experimental hydrological field work in Ecuador
• You will present and disseminate project results in scientific conferences and journals
The provision of academic services (including the processing of a research project financed by third party funds on a temporary basis) also serves the purpose of academic qualification.
Your qualifications and competences:
• You hold a Master degree in environmental science with a focus on geoecology, environmental sciences, computer science or related disciplines
• You have extensive experience in programming (preferably Python, C++)
• You know hydrological processes and have background in hydrological modeling
• You are willing to travel to Ecuador and support field work in the field
• You communicate fluently in spoken and written English
• You are a highly motivated person that brings curiosity in research and is committed to pursue scientific excellence in a multi-disciplinary, collaborative, and international environment.
Our offer to you:
• A varied job with flexible working hours
• Free use of local public transport (LandesTicket Hessen)
• More than 100 training seminars, workshops and e-learning opportunities per year for personal development, as well as a wide range of health and sports activities
• Remuneration according to TV-H, company pension scheme, child allowance and special payments
• Good compatibility of family and career (certificate “audit familiengerechte hochschule”)
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Herr Dr. David Windhorst by e-mail (email@example.com).
JLU aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. JLU is regarded as a family-friendly university. Applicants with children are very welcome. Applications from disabled people of equal aptitude will be given preference.
You want to break new ground with us?
Apply via our online form (https://www.uni-giessen.de/karriere/stellenangebote/application) by September 6th, 2022, indicating reference number 511/09. Applications must be submitted as a single PDF file and must include a cover and motivation letter, curriculum vitae, a minimum of two references with full contact details, and academic certificates. We look forward to receiving your application
Justus Liebig University Giessen