The University of Applied Sciences is looking back at 125 years of research and education and sees itself as a global and diverse university. We are currently educating around 2.700 students in engineering and natural sciences, offering approximately thirty different degree programs. Our recognized practice-oriented research and sound teaching performance distinguishes as the only STEM university in the region.
The Department of Technology, Computer Science and Economics is looking for applicants for a full-time position (39 h / week) PhD Position in Artificial Intelligence based Protein Function at the next possible date. We are offering you a contract for the duration of 3 years.
In collaboration with the newly founded institute for bioinformatics (IBG-4) within the institute for bio- and geosciences at the Forschungszentrum Jülich a PhD research project has been set up.
In this PhD project we want to develop a new method of protein function prediction relying not on textual similarity but similarity of chemical and physical amino acid features. For the identification of significantly similar references sharing similar physico-chemical features we shall explore spectral analysis, fingerprinting, and artificial intelligence methodologies.
- Analysis and profiling of physico-chemical properties of well-studied groups of reference proteins of known function
- Exploration of methods to extract significant features to robustly distinguish these functional groups
- Implementation of a fingerprinting method, possibly based on fuzzy hashing, to store these features in a machine-readable, indexable format that also lends itself to identify closely related fingerprints
- Exploration of machine learning artificial intelligence methods for the identification of significantly similar indexed fingerprints for query proteins of yet unknown function
- Experimentation with spectral analysis decomposition methods for fingerprinting, possibly with discrete wavelet decomposition
- A successfully achieved Master’s Degree in computer science, machine learning or bioinformatics with a strong experience in artificial intelligence
- Good experience in scripting a scientific programming language, e.g. Python
- Good experience in Shell-Scripting (Bash)
- Intermediate in handling the Linux operating system
- Experience in data visualization is desirable
- Experience with a high-level language like C/C++, Rust, Fortran, or Julia is desirable
- Good organizational skills and the ability to work independently
- Very good cooperation and communication skills and ability to work as part of a distributed team in an international and interdisciplinary environment
- Excellent communication skills in English are mandatory
- Salary in line with pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TV-L)
- Possibility to join a pension scheme with the VBL
- We are offering a family-friendly workplace and flexible working hours
- Outstanding scientific and technical infrastructure
- Possibility of mobile working
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. via a comprehensive further training programme
The place of employment is mainly at Forschungszentrum Jülich.
The University of Applied Sciences (Technische Hochschule Bingen) is committed to equal rights for women and men and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference.
For further Information please contact Prof. Dr. Asis Hallab (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We look forward to receiving your application by 14. September 2022 at the latest. Please submit your application via the button for online application below or via our application portal (https://www.thbingen.de/karriere/stellenangebote/).