The Institute of Quantitative Genetics and Genomics of Plants in the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences at Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf invites applications for a Research Associate (m/f/d) in Quantitative Genetics (100 %, pay grade 13 TV-L) at the earliest possible date at the Centre for Synthetic Life Sciences. The employment is initially limited for a period of two years with an option for prolongation for another four years.
It is a qualification position in the sense of the Act of Academic Fixed-Term Contract (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz – WissZeitVG), which is to promote the scientific qualification of the employee. The Institute of Quantitative Genetics and Genomics of Plants is member of the Cluster of Excellence on Plant Science (CEPLAS) and aims to identify the causes of natural phenotypic variation of crop plants on a molecular level, in order to attain an ultimate goal -the prediction of phenotypic performance under variousenvironmental conditions.
This requires combined efforts oncreating novel plant material, exploiting the possibilities of *omicstechnologies, and developing innovative biostatistical andbioinformatical procedures.
Activities and responsibilities:
The selected candidate will plan, execute, and analyse experiments and projects that aim to unravel the genetics of natural variation of crop plants and/or improve their prediction. In addition, the selected candidate will contribute to the development of novel quantitative genetic approaches. Furthermore, the preparation of scientific publications from the above described research is required. The selected candidate is expected to supervise B.Sc., M.Sc., and PhD students. The contribution to the preparation ofresearch grants is required.
A contribution to teaching Biostatistics as well as Quantitative Genetics and Genomics in German andEnglish language (teaching duty of 4 semester hours) as well asthe contribution with her/his expertise to collaborative researchprojects of the Institute is a prerequisite. Contributions to thegeneral organisational tasks of our Institute are also expected.
- A completed scientific university education (M.Sc. / M.A. /Diploma / Magister) in the field of agricultural sciences,quantitative biology or related disciplines, with a PhD
- Expertise in quantitative genetic analyses
- Excellent skills in biostatistics
- Proficiency in R programming and working in a Unix environment
- Excellent communication skills in English (spoken and written)
- Documented, independent scientific work
- High motivation, team spirit, and scientific creativity
- Organizational talent and mentorship experience
- Any of the following additional qualifications are an advantage:expertise in bioinformatic and biostatistic analyses of nextgeneration sequencing or other *omics data sets, expertise inmolecular biology, teaching experience
- An interdisciplinary working environment in an internationalteam of plant breeders, statisticians, molecular geneticists andbioinformaticians
- Active exchange and collaboration with partners from academiaand industry in a field of constant technical and methodologicaldevelopment
- Very good possibility to establish an own research profile
Your contact person in case of questions is Prof. Dr. Benjamin Stich; email: email@example.com Please submit your application documents (cover letter, curricu-lum vitae, two recommendation letters) citing reference no. 138.22 – 3.1 until 14.09.2022 preferably by email as one PDF document to: firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to:Heinrich Heine University DüsseldorfFaculty of Mathematics and Natural SciencesInstitute of Quantitative Genetics and Genomics of Plants Ines SiggeUniversitätsstr. 1