“Knowledge becomes health” – we are filling this motto with life every day, developing new ideas, and improving old-established knowledge. The University Hospital Frankfurt has existed since 1914. Our around 7,500 employees contribute with their skills and knowledge to the 32 specialist clinics, theoretical clinical institutes, and administrative departments. The close connection of health care with research and teaching as well as a climate of collegiality, internationality, and cross-professional cooperation characterize the university hospital.
PhD Student (m/f/x) / Doktorandin (m/w/d) – Biology / Biochemistry / Life Sciences (We are inviting applicants of all genders.) pay grade 13, 65% | initially limited to two years | announcement number: 673-2022
We are seeking two motivated PhD students to join our team at Medical Clinic 2, starting from the earliest possible date. Our working group under the leadership of Prof. Dr. med. Christian Brandts is investigating the role of autophagy in tumor formation and in therapy resistance. Autophagy, the “recycling” process of cells, is exploited by tumor cells as one of the most important cellular survival mechanisms. Prior work of our group has shown that targeted elimination of substrates via the process of selective autophagy plays an essential role in the development of leukemia.
Hence, our group aims to gain a deeper understanding of the role of autophagy receptors in the development and maintenance of leukemia to improve current and develop novel strategies for the treatment of these malignancies.
As part of the German Research Foundation’s (DFG) Collaborative Research Center SFB 1177, we are embedded in an excellent and vibrant research environment and are looking for two highly motivated PhD students to join our team.
- Independent planning, execution, and analysis of experiments in the field of autophagy and leukemia research
- Application of a variety of state-of-the-art molecular biology, cell biology, and biochemical techniques
- Implementation of novel methods
- Conduction of experiments in animal models
- Writing of and contributing to scientific publications
Who You Are
- Master’s degree or equivalent in biology, biochemistry, molecular medicine, or in a related field
- Solid hands-on experience with cell biology, molecular biology, and biochemical techniques
- Practical experience with experimental animal research is desirable
- High motivation, determination, and strong interest in translational biology
- Very good English skills are a prerequisite
- German skills are desirable
- Due to legal regulations, an employment relationship may only be entered by people who are vaccinated against or have recovered from COVID-19; in addition a valid proof of measles immunity / measles vaccination is required
What we offer:
- Collective agreement: In addition to an attractive salary based on a collective agreement with an annual special payment, you benefit from long-term security through company pension schemes
- Mobility: Free public transport in all Hesse (Free State Ticket Hesse)
- Campus: Our attractive university hospital campus offers a modern cafeteria, various cafes, and opportunities to rest in numerous green spaces; a walk on the riverside of the Main offers relaxation during breaks
- Work-life balance: Part-time employment is possible, we offer childcare in our daycare center (more information can be found here ), child care during holidays
- Health promotion: Benefit from our attractive health offers; we offer regular online and face-to-face courses on nutrition, relaxation, sports and exercise
- Professional development: Internal and external training for your professional development
Disabled applicants are preferred if they have the same personal and professional qualifications.
Join Our Team!
We are looking forward to receive your application until September 18th, 2022. Please state the announcement number and a possible starting date. For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Christian Brandts via telephone (+49 69 6301 87334) or e-mail (email@example.com).
Universitätsklinikum Frankfurt | Recruiting Team | Theodor-Stern-Kai 7 | 60590 Frankfurt am Main | firstname.lastname@example.org or Application Form (please note that we do not return application documents).