The Control Theory and Systems Biology lab at the Department of Biosystems Science & Engineering (D-BSSE) of ETH Zurich is looking for an outstanding scientist to fill a postdoctoral position in the area of stem cell technology.
You will focus on the development of tools to reproducibly steer cell fate and morphogenesis based on stem cell self-organisation properties in response to intrinsic and extrinsic cues to control the development of engineered tissues.
Education and skills:
- PhD degree in synthetic developmental biology, molecular biology, or a related field.
- Experience in mammalian synthetic biology and cell engineering.
- Ideal candidates will also have expertise in CRISPR/Cas9 techniques, optogenetics, mammalian stem cell biology and state-of-the-art microscopy methods.
- Good written and spoken English is essential
- The Postdoc will be part of an exciting research environment, working closely with an international and interdisciplinary team of researchers, which combines experimental methods with quantitative analyses for cutting-edge research in synthetic and systems biology.
- The postdoc will have opportunities for professional growth including the opportunity to learn about mathematical modelling and systems approaches to biology.
- A wide range of activities like symposia, workshops and lecture series, as well as the possibility for the doctoral students to engage in organising such formats.
Our department (D-BSSE) is a truly interdisciplinary research unit of ETH Zurich where theory, experimental biology and engineering groups team up to foster advances in Systems Biology, Biotechnology and Synthetic Biology. With its headquarter in Basel, Switzerland, the D-BSSE is situated in the heart of Bio valley, a tri-national region hosting 40% of the global life science industry including several pharma giants, which provides a unique environment for high-leverage translational research.
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents by October 30, 2022:
- Detailed CV including a list of publications, talks and awards (if applicable)
- Short motivation letter (750-1000 words) outlining your research interests and career plans about the present offer.
- Scanned degree certificates and transcripts (Bachelor’s, Master’s, PhD and other degrees)
- Names and email addresses of 2-3 individuals (established faculty researchers, max. 1 letter from a postdoctoral researcher or non-academic (e.g. industry) supervisor is allowed) who can provide reference letters. Please ask your referees to submit their reference letters to our online system within the application deadline.
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Questions regarding the position should be directed to Prof. Mustafa Khammash: email@example.com (no applications).
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.