IRTA is currently seeking an enthusiastic and motivated PhD candidate to join a collaborative project between the Postharvest and the Genomics and Biotechnology Programs. We invite applications from ambitious candidates with relevant research experience and passion to conduct research and innovation activities on the the field of plant breeding and postharvest technologies. In the framework of sustainable agriculture, the aim of the study is to develop new melon varieties with slow maturation and higher performance at postharvest to reduce food lost and waste.
In this context, the candidate will be engaged in a multifaceted and innovative project to provide insight on the role of different genes/QTLs involved in melon ripening, while using the latest postharvest and fruit quality assessment technologies. Supervisor/s: Gemma Echeverria and Marta Pujol
Job location: Fruitcentre (Lleida) and CRAG (UAB Campus, Barcelona)
Full-time position (37.5 h/week)
Terms of appointment: The duration of the PhD Candidate contract will be for one year, extendible by
yearly periods to a maximum of 3 years.
Salary: The financial remuneration will be of €1,236.39/gross per month (€17,309.45/gross per annum)
for the first and second years. For the third year, il will be €1,324.10/gross per month (€18,545.84/gross
per annum) which will be subject to the corresponding withholdings, pursuant to prevailing regulations,
and to the collective employment agreement of IRTA (1)
IRTA will also pay the annual fees of the doctoral school when receiving the enrolment. Employee Benefits: 22 vacation days, 3 days of family & work conciliation, 45h of personal days, Friday afternoon off, Compressed Summer schedule from 15/06 to 15/09, Conciliation schedule.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- The PhD candidate will perform a wide range of duties including laboratory and field work.
- Study the ripening behaviour of pyramided lines with different ripening-related QTLs.
- Fruit quality evaluation of new melon lines at harvest and after storage.
- Evaluation of the impact of shelf life on fruit flavour and consumer acceptance.
- Writing of scientific articles.
Required qualifications and experience
-Candidates must hold one of the following degrees:
- a) A Master’s in Plant Biotechnology, Agronomic Sciences, Food technology, Plant breeding or similar.
- b) To be in a position to access a doctoral programme according to the requirements of Catalan universities,
i.e. accrediting between 60 and 120 ECTS credits at the official university master’s degree level or equivalent.
- Not to have a previous PhD degree.
-To have a driver’s license.
- Any prior experience in matters of plant science, genotyping, biochemistry, food technology, and
chromatography will be viewed positively.
- Good statistical data analysis skills will be valued.
- Good communication skills, verbal and written, would be valued as well.
- Proficiency in English
- Catalan and Spanish are valued
- Application process
If you wish to be considered for this position, please, apply via our Recruitment Platform to the job
post with reference CPI2122 and upload your CV and motivation letter. All information will be
treated in the strictest confidence.
Timings in the Recruitment Process of ref. CPI2122 Breeding for sustainable melon production 30 natural days
Publication and diffusion of the job advertisement on IRTA’s website, EURAXESS Jobs, social media and other specific recruitment places. 5 following working days
Distribution of the pre-selected CVs which matching eligibility criteria to the Recruitment Committee. Communication via e-mail with the not pre-selected candidates who will not be further included in the process.
Deadline for application: 11/2022
IRTA guarantees an open, transparent, and merit-based recruitment process (OTM-R) to all registered candidacies avoiding thus any bias on gender, origin, age, ideology, or other circumstances that could be discriminatory. Candidates in a situation of social exclusion will be considered in the first place.
Please know that if you are the chosen candidate and you are from a country which does not belong to the UE, IRTA’s Human Resources Department will support you to get the residence and working permits.
(1) The financial remuneration of the PhD Candidate contract may not be less than 56% of the salary established for the category of Research Collaborator F of the Collective Agreement of the IRTA during the first two years, 60% in the third year and 75% in the fourth.