The International Master of Science in Agro- and Environmental Nematology (IMaNema) is a globally unique 2-year MSc programme in English and brings together internationally renowned staff to train students in the broad field of agricultural and environmental aspects of nematology.
Nematodes are notorious as parasites of plants and animals resulting in tremendous crop losses and serious diseases of humans and livestock. Certain species, however, are very effective in biocontrol programmes with some now used as a mainstream insect management strategy. Additionally, free-living species are important as bio-indicators for environmental monitoring, while others are very informative model organisms.
In order to obtain academic admission to IMaNema, you need to possess a university bachelor degree (requiring a minimum of 3 years study) in
- agricultural sciences
- bioscience engineering
- environmental sciences
- biochemistry and biotechnology
- veterinary science
- biomedical sciences
- applied biological sciences
The Nematology Educational Committee can withhold admission in case the scores of the bachelor degree are too low even when you present one of the above mentioned diplomas.
In order to obtain academic admission to IMaNema, you need to be proficient in the language of the programme, i.e. English. If you did not obtain your diploma (secondary education, academic bachelor degree, master degree) in Flanders at an institution officially recognized by the Flemish Government, you must
- proof that your mother tongue is English, or;
- obtain a TOEFL certificate (the UGent TOEFL code is 2643) with
- a minimum total score of 500 on the paper based test (PBT), or
- a minimum total score of 80 on an internet based test (IBT), or;
- obtain an IELTS certificate with a minimum overall band score of 5.5, or;
- proof that you followed at least one year of comprehensive English-based instruction (full time courses in English, not one English language course!) at a university or recognized equivalent, or;
- pass successfully the Interuniversity Test of Academic English (ITACE) B1-level test at the Language Center of Ghent University (UCT), or;
- obtain the First Certificate in English (FCE) by Cambridge-ESOL.
- TOEFL/IELTS predictive tests are not acceptable.
- TOEFL/IELTS test validity is maximum two years and should be sent by the testing organisation to the International Admission Desk of Ghent University.
- Failing to meet these language criteria results in the inability to register at Ghent University
If you do not manage to get the required TOEFL/IELTS before the deadline of online submission, please do an online English Self test at the Language center of Ghent University (UCT). Choose Candidate students UGent – ICP test.
After the test you will receive your score. Make a print screen of that page, save it as a jpg-file and attach it to your online application form.
Please note that this test only gives an indication of your English level and does not give you access to enroll for IMaNema. One of the above mentioned certificates have to be provided by the time of enrollment!
How to apply:
To obtain academic admission admission, please follow the application procedure.
2 thoughts on “Application for Admission and Scholarships now open for MSc in Agro- and Environmental Nematology, Ghent University”
I’ve tried applying, it’s not working for me Why?
Apply here: https://imanema.ugent.be/apply/application-procedure/