About: Forrest PhD Scholarships – for the brightest minds, the best research, the biggest impact:
We attract the brightest minds from around the world to conduct bold and exciting doctoral research at any of Western Australia’s five universities. We provide our PhD Scholars with generous financial support, mentoring, and professional development opportunities to help them accelerate their career and go further than they imagined possible.
At Forrest Hall we have created the most stimulating and inspiring learning environment where Scholars can live, learn and share ideas in a multi-disciplinary academic community. Forrest Scholars break with convention, push at boundaries, and go further than they imagined possible. They are at the forefront of world-leading research in their chosen discipline. Their research has the potential to change the world.
Do you have what it takes to become a Forrest Scholar?
Forrest PhD Scholarships are offered to students who have exceptional academic profiles and who have the desire, drive and imagination to undertake doctoral research of the highest standard. Forrest Scholars will have been among the top performing students in their undergraduate and graduate cohorts. The grade point average (GPA) of current Forrest Scholars is above 3.95/4.00, with the majority of Scholars having achieved a perfect GPA of 4.00/4.00 in their undergraduate and/or graduate degrees. You need to be able to demonstrate that your previous academic achievements have been outstanding.
Academic excellence is a necessary, but not a sufficient, condition for winning a Forrest PhD Scholarship. You also need to demonstrate deep curiosity about your chosen field of study, a strong desire to communicate to others your enthusiasm for knowledge and discovery, a commitment to use this knowledge to have a positive impact on the world around us, and the drive and determination to succeed even when faced with obstacles and setbacks.
Your proposed doctoral research should be innovative and exciting. You must discuss your doctoral research plans with your proposed PhD supervisor prior to submitting an application. The nominated supervisor of each candidate who is shortlisted for interview will be asked to provide an assessment of the academic performance and research potential of the candidate.
Forrest PhD Scholarships can be held at any of Western Australia’s five universities, and are open to candidates in all subject areas, and from any country and nationality. Applicants must have attained the English language admission standards of their chosen university prior to submitting their application. The duration of Forrest PhD Scholarships is up to 4 years, conditional on satisfactory progress.
Benefits: All Forrest Scholars will receive a scholarship package which includes fees, stipend, accommodation and research/travel allowance:
- Research Training Program Stipend: A Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend or equivalent university postgraduate research scholarship stipend valued at $28,597 per annum in 2021 and indexed annually, or a higher value to be determined by the enrolling university; and
- Accommodation Allowance:An accommodation allowance valued at $21,447 in 2021 and subject to annual indexation. The allowance is available to cover accommodation costs of a studio apartment at Forrest Hall. If a Forrest Scholar is granted a residency exemption by the Forrest Research Foundation Governors, the accomodation allowance may be used to contribute towards the cost of other residential accommodation. The Forrest Foundation endeavours to provide a 2 bedroom apartment to scholars with resident dependant children; and
- Relocation and Research Travel Allowance: A research and travel allowance of up to $12,000, plus economy airfare to Perth for scholar and immediate dependants. The research and travel allowance is available for approved research-related expenses, overseas research, and conference travel.
International Forrest Scholars will also receive an International Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset Scholarship or equivalent university international fee scholarship which covers the full international tuition fees and overseas student health cover. Domestic Forrest Scholars will receive a Domestic Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset Scholarship which provides exemption from the requirement to pay tuition fees for the duration of the scholarship.
Eligibility: Forrest Scholarships are open to international and domestic students intending on enrolling in a PhD at a Western Australian university:
Forrest Research Foundation Scholarships are available for outstanding international and Australian students who wish to study towards a PhD at one of the following Western Australian universities.
- Curtin University
- Edith Cowan University
- Murdoch University
- Notre Dame University (Fremantle Campus)
- The University of Western Australia
An applicant must have a bachelor’s degree of First Class Honours standard or equivalent, such as a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.8/4.0. Applicants will typically be in the top 5% of students in their graduating class. The average GPA of current Forrest Scholars is greater than 3.95/4.00. Forrest Scholars are expected to reside in an apartment in Forrest Hall (exemptions may be considered in special circumstances in accordance with the Scholarship Conditions).
Selection: Scholars will be selected from international and Australian applicants who demonstrate an outstanding academic ability to undertake research work with the potential to change the world we live in:
Applications will be assessed on the basis of each applicant’s:
- academic achievements
- exceptional ability, resourcefulness and resilience
- originality and significance of proposed research
- ability to communicate their passion for research
- desire to use research to have a positive impact on Western Australia and the wider world
The selection of successful applicants is undertaken by the Selection Committee, which comprises eminent people from the research and broader communities drawn from the Forrest Research Foundation Selection Panel.
What must an application include?
Applications for PhD scholarships commencing in 2023 will be open from 01 September to 31 October 2022. Forrest Scholarships are open to international and domestic students intending on enrolling in a PhD at a Western Australian university.
A completed application must have the following:
- Completed Application Form
- Curriculum vitae
- Copies of all academic transcripts
- Contact details for four referees – three academic (required) and one personal (optional)
- Passport-sized photograph
Please read the Scholarship Conditions before applying.