The mission of the Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF) as a nationally and internationally active research institute is to deliver solutions for an ecologically, economically and socially sustainable agriculture – together with society. ZALF is a member of the Leibniz Association and is located in Müncheberg (approx. 35 minutes by regional train from Berlin-Lichtenberg). It also maintains a research station with further locations in Dedelow and Paulinenaue.
Within the CiLaKlima project “Screening of genetic resources of chickpea and grass pea: Adaptation to climate change in Germany with alternative legumes for human consumption” the consortium (University of Hohenheim, IPK and ZALF) will screen the genetic resources and agronomic potential of chickpea and grass pea for their cultivation suitability in Germany aiming to expand the range of legume crops available for farmers. Both species have a high potential to be adapted to dry and warm climate conditions. Besides screening genotypes across locations, experiments on induced drought stress, mechanical weed management and intercropping will be conducted on station and complemented by on-farm experiments and exchange with stakeholders.
We are offering a temporarily limited 3-year part-time position from December 1st 2022 at our location in Müncheberg as PhD in Crop Science (f/m/d) 105-2022
- screening a set of genotypes of chickpea and grass pea for multiple traits in small plot trials
- testing agronomic practices i.e. mechanical weed management (chickpea) & intercropping (grass pea)
- statistical yield stability analysis of variety trials across multiple environments across Germany
- working with farmers in on-farm experiments in Brandenburg
- collaborate with the other project partners and stakeholders
- MSc degree in agricultural sciences, with a focus in agronomy/crop science
- skills in experimental work, statistical data analysis and experience with working with farmers
- ability to work in an interdisciplinary and international team as well as independently
- excellent command of English (German is an additional asset but not a requirement)
- strong skills in scientific writing
What we offer:
- a position in an innovative project with high scientific and practical relevance
- an interdisciplinary working environment that encourages independence and self-reliance
- classification according to the collective agreement of the federal states (TV-L) up to 13 with 65% of the regular working time (including special annual payment)
- a collegial and open-minded working atmosphere in a dynamic research institution
Women are particularly encouraged to apply. Applications from severely disabled persons with equal qualifications are favored. It is generally possible to work in the position on a part-time basis. Please send your application preferably online (see button online application below). For e-mail applications, create a PDF document (one PDF file, max. 5 MB; packed PDF documents, archive files like zip, rar etc. Word documents cannot be processed and therefore cannot be considered!) with the usual documents, in particular CV, proof of qualification and certificates, stating the reference number 105-2022 until 12 October 2022 to (see button e-mail application below).
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us: Herr Dr. Moritz Reckling, Tel. 0049-(0)33432 82 257, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application documents sent by post or extensive publications will not be returned
For cost reasons, application documents or extensive publications can only be returned if an adequately stamped envelope is attached.
If you apply, we collect and process your personal data in accordance with Articles 5 and 6 of the EU GDPR only for the processing of your application and for purposes that result from possible future employment with the ZALF. Your data will be deleted after six months.