School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health at KTH:
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
KTH has established a multidisciplinary research environment on sustainable and healthy food systems (KTH FOOD) that strives for a sustainable, resource efficient and fair food system encompassing the entire value chain, resulting in food products with positive impact on health. To contribute to this initiative, the School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health (CBH) supports the development of a new Laboratory for Food chemistry and Foodomics. The new laboratory will be located in the Division of Glycoscience, Department of Chemistry, where it will catalyse research efforts in the field of food technology across a wider spectrum at KTH.
This researcher position will support the activities of KTH FOOD, will set up and develop the new Laboratory for Food Chemistry and Foodomics, and will contribute to the research activities of the research group Biotechnology of Carbohydrates from Biomass (PI Francisco Vilaplana) at the Division of Glycoscience. This briefly includes:
– Contribute to the development of the new Laboratory for Food Chemistry and Foodomics.
– Support the organization of KTH FOOD
– Support the implementation of research projects in the group “Biochemistry of Carbohydrates from Biomass”.
– Participate in the co-supervision of master and PhD students.
– Develop methods based on chromatography and mass spectrometry (foodomics) to characterize food biopolymers and metabolites.
– Offer hands-on support to develop laboratory procedures in relation with the group needs and existing projects.
– Be responsible with group members for the daily management, safety, and development of the laboratory. This involves general maintenance of equipment and samples, consumables, protocol organization, and data management.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future.
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Work in Stockholm , in close proximity to nature
- The researcher will be part of the Division of Glycoscience at the Department of Chemistry. The Division of Glycoscience is a multidisciplinary organisation with competencies in molecular biology, biochemistry and materials science for the use of natural polymers, mainly carbohydrates and associated biomacromolecules, for an improved environment and health.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree in food science and technology, material sciences, nanotechnology, biotechnology or related disciplines.
- The candidate should have demonstrated practical experience for a minimum of 5 years on plant food structure, food polymers (e.g. carbohydrates, proteins), plant cell walls and/or lignocellulose polymers through documented scientific publications.
- The candidate must have performed documented research activities in several of the following areas: (i) biochemical, structural and functional characterization of complex food polymers and matrices; (ii) structural characterization of starch and/or plant cell walls using solid-state techniques, including microscopy, spectroscopy and scattering techniques; (iii) development of processes for the extraction and modification of food components and/or; (iv) design of food hydrocolloids and characterization of their structure and macroscopic properties.
- The ability to work towards research results being utilised in practice.
- The ability to inform about research and development work and teaching ability
- Experience of developing and leading activities and staff.
- The candidate should have excellent communication skills in scientific English, both orally and in writing as it is a language that is used frequently at the department.
- As a person, you are organized, reliable, well structured, thorough and service minded. reliable and. You have excellent communication skills and are a good team player that should work independently and drive projects forward.
- Competence on the use of advanced methods for carbohydrate and protein analysis, including chromatography and mass spectrometry, is desirable.
- Proof of (co)-supervision of master and bachelor degree students is also desirable.
- Awareness of diversity and equal treatment issues with a special focus on gender equality and sustainability is a merit.
- Experience on laboratory management practices (e.g. safety training, development and maintenance of standard operating procedures, laboratory organization) is desirable.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competence.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH’s webbpage.
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad. Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application.
Your complete application must be received by KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account of why you want to support research activities in the broad area of food technology related to the job description, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Max two pages long.
About the employment
The employment is valid for a limited time according to the agreement – for up to 12 months (or years), with access according to agreement.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values. We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Last application date: 14.Oct.2022 11:59 PM CEST
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence