The University of Cologne is one of the largest and most research-intensive universities in Germany, offering a wide range of subjects. With its six faculties and its interfaculty centres, it offers a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines and internationally outstanding profile areas, supported by the administration with its services.
The position is located in the group led by Professor Zuccaro at the Institute for Plant Sciences and the Cluster of Excellence on Plant Sciences (CEPLAS). The successful candidate will conduct research within the scope of a DFG-funded Germany-wide Priority Programme SPP 2125 ‘DECRyPT’ concentrating on comparative genomics and transcriptomics and the development of computational tools to study plant-microbe interactions and evolution (bacteria and fungi).
- Develop and apply computational tools for the analysis of (meta)genome and (meta)transcriptome and/or amplicon sequencing
- Advance our understanding on how beneficial and detrimental microbes tightly regulate the expression of effector genes, their function and regulation in different plant hosts and in response to other microbes
- Closely interact with computer scientists and experimental biologists
- Employ computational approaches to deepen our understanding of the evolution and functions of plant microbiota
Anforderungsprofil & Qualifikationen
- PhD in bioinformatics, biology or in a related discipline with a strong background in bioinformatics
- Proficiency in the use of Linux/Unix and proven experience in scripting and software development (e.g. Python, C/C++, PERL, Java, R)
- Experience in the analysis of comparative genomics, transcriptomics and/or amplicon sequencing
- The ability to work in an environment at the interface of biology and computer sciences
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
WE OFFER YOU
- A strongly motivated, international and committed team embedded in a highly interdisciplinary research environment
- A diverse and fair working environment
- Support in reconciling work and family life
- Flexible working time models
- Extensive advanced training opportunities
- Occupational health management offers
- Local transport ticket at a discount for UoC employees
- Opportunity for remote work
The position is available immediately on a full-time basis (39,83 hours per week). It is limited to a term of 2 years with the possibility of extension. If the applicant meets the relevant wage requirements and personal qualifications, the salary is based on remuneration group 13 TV-L of the pay scale for the German public sector.
The University of Cologne is committed to equal opportunities and diversity. Women are especially encouraged to apply and will be considered preferentially in accordance with the Equal Opportunities Act of North Rhine-Westphalia (Landesgleichstellungsgesetz – LGG NRW). We also expressly welcome applications from people with disabilities / special needs or of equal status.
Please apply online at: https://jobportal.uni-koeln.de with proof of the required qualifications including a CV, a one-page letter of interest and contact information für 2-3 academic references. The reference number is Wiss2210-09. The application deadline is 13.11.2022.