The mission of the Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF) as a nationally and internationally active research institute is to deliver solutions for an ecologically, economically and socially sustainable agriculture – together with society. ZALF is a member of the Leibniz Association and is located in Müncheberg (approx. 35 minutes by regional train from Berlin-Lichtenberg). It also maintains a research station with further locations in Dedelow and Paulinenaue.
The project The MoorGrünFE project aims to generate a set of indicators for grassland sites on drained peat soils or peat soils undergoing rewetting at different spatial scales (from plot level to regional level). These indicators are derived using data from different sensors that can be a proxy of vegetation characteristics, soil condition, and land use.
We are offering a 65% position temporarily limited for 36 months at our location in Müncheberg as PhD position in grassland modelling and remote sensing (f/m/d) 138-2022
- drone based monitoring of selected grassland sites and data processing
- integrate data from satellite sensors for large scale Soil Organic Carbon (SOC) stock estimation using machine learning techniques
- apply MONICA process based simulation model for scenario-based analysis of the effects of management strategies and climate on organic carbon
- contribute to an international research team, publish in international journals and present results at international conferences
- University (MSc) in the field of field of Agriculture, Environmental science, Geosciences or related fields
- programming experience in Python or extensive experience in another high-level programming language
- experience with big remote sensing data analysis
- experience with hyperspectral data analysis is an advantage
- willingness to perform field work
What we offer:
- an interdisciplinary working environment that encourages independence and self-reliance
- classification according to the collective agreement of the federal states (TV-L) up to EG 13 (including special annual payment)
- access to modern workspace with modern IT infrastructure
- a collegial and open-minded working atmosphere in a dynamic research institution
Women are particularly encouraged to apply. Applications from severely disabled persons with equal qualifications are favored. It is generally possible to work in the position on a part-time basis. Please send your application preferably online (see button online application below). For e-mail applications, create a PDF document (one PDF file, max. 5 MB; packed PDF documents, archive files like zip, rar etc. Word documents cannot be processed and therefore cannot be considered!) with the usual documents, in particular CV, proof of qualification and certificates, stating the reference number 138-2022 until 15 November 2022 to (see button e-mail application below).
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us: Dr. Gohar Ghazaryan, email@example.com , Tel. +49 (0) 33432/82-411.
Application documents sent by post or extensive publications will not be returned
For cost reasons, application documents or extensive publications can only be returned if an adequately stamped envelope is attached.
If you apply, we collect and process your personal data in accordance with Articles 5 and 6 of the EU GDPR only for the processing of your application and for purposes that result from possible future employment with the ZALF. Your data will be deleted after six months.