Purdue University Institute for Plant Sciences looks for an inspired, energetic Post-doc to join the phenotyping facilities at Purdue University.
Location: AgAlumni Seed Phenotyping Facility (AAPF), West Lafayette, IN
Specific responsibilities of the position:
- Coordinate the development of optimal operation procedures that enable efficient, consistent, and safe operation of the Xray-CT imaging system at AAPF
- Implement/fine-tune segmentation algorithms for root systems of multiple species in various potting media; create critical and novel phenotypic root traits in plants of various species to facilitate and enable assessment of plant root growth and performance under different environmental conditions
- Collaborate with the managers of AAPF to coordinate data collection events using the Xray CT system; coordinate with team members in managing and processing the acquired data
- Work as one of the focal-point persons in delivering data (raw and processed data) to customers of the facility
- Work individually or as a team member in projects with academic and industry partners. Conduct applied scientific research with the projects
- Ph.D. degree in computer science, electronic engineering, information technology, computational biology, agricultural and biosystem engineering and other relevant background with proven hands-on experience in image analysis, machine vision, and/or machine learning
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to work with plant biologists, IT support team, engineers and algorithm developers
- Strong experience in image analysis and machine vision techniques
- Knowledge modern machine learning techniques, such as deep learning and reinforcement learning methods
- Knowledge and experiences in multiple programming languages and platforms (e.g. Matlab, ImageJ, Python, C/C++, etc.)
Salary and Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience. Fringe benefits also provided.
Application Procedure: Qualified persons are requested to send a letter of application including a 1-page (maximum) statement of research goals, curriculum vitae, 1 representative example of their scholarly work, and the names and contact information for three references electronically to Dr. Yang Yang, Director of Digital Phenomics, via:
internal applicant link – https://performancemanager8.successfactors.com/sf/jobreq?jobId=21075&company=purdueuniv or
external applicant link – https://careers.purdue.edu/job-invite/21075/
Purdue Institute for Plant Sciences information is available at: https://ag.purdue.edu/plantsciences/
Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.