Doctoral Researcher for Professor Kati Hanhineva’s research group, Food Sciences unit, Department of Biotechnology
The PhD position is within an EU-funded consortium project HealthFerm, focusing on the development and research of sustainable fermented plant-based foods with optimal health benefits for consumers via gut microbiota-related mechanisms.
The PhD project involves analytics with liquid chromatography – mass spectrometry metabolomics applications conducted on various different sample matrices originating from plant-based raw materials and fermented foods as well as human dietary interventions conducted with the fermented products. The overall objective is to understand the molecular mechanisms related to health-beneficial effects of fermented foods. An essential component of the PhD project is to conduct food fermentation trials to assess the impact of fermenting microbial strains or consortia on various plant/food derived compounds that might contribute to human health-related bioactivities.
The Expectation of Competence
- We are primarily searching for a doctoral researcher or a project researcher. In case the selected candidate is finalizing the Master, the job title will be research assistant until the degree has been obtained.
- MSc degree in Chemistry, Food Chemistry, Biochemistry, or from a related field
- The successful candidate should have earlier experience on mass spectrometry analyses, as well as on microbiological laboratory methods and earlier experience on food fermenting microbes and/or gut microbiota is regarded as benefit
- Excellent spoken and written English is required for the position
The qualifications for the positions are specified in the University of Turku Rules of Procedure (the title of doctoral researcher replaces previous title of doctoral candidate 1.8.2022 onwards). If the selected person doesn’t have a study right for a doctoral programme when they’re selected, their title will firstly be project researcher until 31.5.2023 and they must apply for a doctoral programme during the next possible application period (Spring 2023).
Our selection criteria are based on the principle of finding the most qualified and suitable candidate for the position. In practice, this means that not only education, publications and working experience but also personal qualities, motivational factors, language skills and other relevant criteria will be taken into account.
Period of Employment and Salary Levels
The employment period will be initially for two years, with a possibility of extension. The selected candidate will apply PhD study right at the Doctoral Programme in Technology (DPT, https://www.utu.fi/en/research/utugs/dpt).
The salary is determined by the collective agreement system of Finnish universities. The position belongs to our research personnel and for a doctoral researcher the salary will be 2300 – 2700 €/month on average and for a research assistant the salary will be 2032 -2280 €/month on average.
A six (6) month trial period applies to the position.
How to apply
Applications should contain:
- a motivation letter (max. 1 page) focusing on your strengths related to our research topic
- list of publications
- degree certificates
- CV (1-4 pages) including contact details of at least two referees, meaning prior academic supervisors or persons acquainted with you and your work (name, working place, e-mail address)
- other possible documents showcasing the candidate’s merits and suitableness for the position
Please submit your application no later than 11.12.2022 via the electronic application form of the University of Turku. Contact information and the link to the application system can be found from the University of Turku recruitment link: APPLY NOW
Further information about the position gives Professor Kati Hanhineva kati.hanhineva(at)utu.fi and about the recruitment process biocityhrservices(at)utu.fi