The newly established Department of Environmental Microbiology at the Institute for Sanitary Engineering, Water Quality and Solid Waste Management (ISWA) at the University of Stuttgart is delighted to announce an open position for a talented early career scientist to develop as a junior research group leader (3+3 years).
The candidate is expected to:
- Develop her/his own research profile in the area of Bioinformatics / Microbial Ecology
- Be successful in raising third-party funding
- Lead and conduct field campaigns
- Supervise BSc, MSc, and PhD students in the area of Environmental Microbiology
- Teach classes at BSc and MSc level
- 2-4 years of postdoc experience
- International experience
- Excellent English written and oral communication
- A solid scientific background in Bioinformatics and Microbial Ecology
- Experience and/or interest in some of the following research areas: microbial glyphosate degradation in agricultural soils; microbial hydrocarbon degradation in seawater; microbial N-cycle in groundwater
- Experience in the following methods: bioinformatic analysis of 16S rRNA (gene) amplicon sequencing data; bioinformatic analysis of metagenomic, metatranscriptomic, and metaproteomic datasets; statistical analysis of sequencing datasets in correlation with biogeochemical data
We are offering a position for 3+3 years in an interdisciplinary, international, and dynamic team of environmental microbiologists and microbial ecologists. The starting date is February 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter. Employment (TV-L E 13, 100%) will be arranged by the administration of the University of Stuttgart. Disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally qualified. The University of Stuttgart strives to increase the proportion of women in research and teaching and therefore strongly encourages qualified women to apply.
Applications including CV, motivation letter, summary of research and teaching experience, publication list, an overview about the methods used in the past, and contact information of three academic references should be sent by email before December 15th, 2022 to:
Prof. Dr. Sara Kleindienst, Department of Environmental Microbiology, Institute for Sanitary Engineering, Water Quality and Solid Waste Management (ISWA) at the University of Stuttgart., E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org