PhD Position: NitroPhos 2 – Nutrient recovery from digestate with an integrated biogas purification:
The State Institute of Agricultural Engineering and Bioenergy is searching for a PhD student for the research project NitroPhos 2 – Industrial Research for an optimized process chain for nutrient recovery from digestate with integrated biogas purification. The position will be open from March 1st, 2023. Remuneration is according to remuneration group E13 TV-L (65% of regular working hours). The position is intended for PhD studies and is initially limited to 3 years.
Goal of the research
Within the project a process for phosphorus and nitrogen recovery from digestate with an integrated biogas purification will be developed and optimized. CO2 from the biogas will be used to lower the pH of the digestate, therefore reducing the required operating material for the dissolution of phosphorus. Afterwards, The mixture is alkalized with ammonia to precipitate phosphorus.
The process will be set up in pilot-scale and is based on the experience of previous operation of the NuTriSep – Process of the company Geltz Umwelttechnologie GmbH, who is the project partner. Additionally, a novel denitrification unit will be set up and tested in the laboratory. Thus, the project includes both laboratory work and pilot-scale operation.
– Technical planning and procurement of the pilot and laboratory plant – Planning, organizing, and conducting investigations with the laboratory and pilot plant
– Statistical analysis of the results, writing project reports and scientific publications
– Presentation of results at national and international conferences
– Master’s degree in process, chemical, environmental, mechanical, or agricultural engineering or similar technical qualification
– Knowledge of scientific work, demonstrated by an above-average master’s degree – Very good English skills, A high level of oral and written German is advantageous – Good EDP skills, proactive, flexible and team spirit- Initiative, flexibility and team spirit -Drivers License
Application deadline : 31.12.2022
Please attach the following documents to your application: Motivation letter CV Grade transcripts
The University of Hohenheim accepts applications via a secure internet site. To the application