Job advertisement – Reference InnovPP056/2022; Ph.D. Researcher for the Department – 2. Protection of Specific Crops; Collaborative Laboratory “InnovPlantProtect – Association”
We are looking for a passionate and resourceful Ph.D. candidate able to integrate into an organization that is developing innovative products and services to protect crops against pests and diseases.
The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate a solid background in Plant Pathology and Biotechnology with demonstrated experience in the field of Cellular and Molecular Plant Biology.
The researcher reports directly to the Director of the Department of Protection of Specific Crops of InnovPlantProtect and has the following responsibilities:
- Evaluate plant interactions among plants, plant pathogens and biological control agents (BCAs) at cellular, biochemical, and molecular levels;
- Develop and conduct in vitro, ex vitro and in planta experimental assays, including, but not limited to plant-pathogen interactions, biological control, plant disease diagnostics and identification;
- Register, interpret and report experimental results accordingly to InPP´s established procedures;
- Interact and collaborate diligently intra and inter departmentally;
- Interact with farmers and field researchers.
- Ph.D. in Plant Biology, Plant Biotechnology or related Agricultural or Plant Science disciplines;
- Experience in Plant Biotechnology, including maintaining plant and tissue cultures and sampling techniques;
- Experience in basic Plant Pathology and Microbiology techniques;
- Experience in conducting experiments, data collection and analysis;
- Awareness of agroindustry trends, technology, and developments;
- Fluency in English, spoken and written;
- Ability and interest in supervising students at MSc/BSc level;
- Ability to work as a member of multidisciplinary, project-oriented team, with demonstrated problem-solving skills and flexibility.
- Experience with plant imaging methodologies (e.g., light and fluorescence microscopy);
- Experience in molecular plant breeding;
- Experience with multicrops (vegetables, fruits and trees).
InnovPlantProtect is a private non-profit association
InnovPlantProtect aims to create innovation for the protection of crops, seeds and post-harvest products through:
- Development of innovative technologies and knowledge creation, as well as improvement of existing technologies for crop protection;
- Applied scientific research to create novel intellectual property developed technologies in the market, and to develop processes and products;
- Provide technical support to public or private companies and entities, assisting them in the introduction of biotechnological strategies, methods and processes, and in the orientation and implementation of industrial research and development, directed towards the protection of crops, seeds and post-harvest products;
- Collaboration with (inter)national public and/or private institutions, in their areas of activity.
The work location will be at the headquarters of InnovPlantProtect, situated in INIAV (Elvas), at the former National Plant Breeding Station.
Salary and contract
A full-time contract, starting 3rd January, 2023 will continue until 31st December, 2023 with a trial period of one month. The contract may be renewed annually for a further two years depending on performance and further financial support. All the activities to be developed will be subject to confidentiality clauses. Gross remuneration will be €2,025,35 (14 months – €28,354,9/year) and €5,2 for daily lunch subsidy).
This contract is co-financed by the European Social Fund and Alentejo 2020, under the Operation: Highly qualified employment in companies – Hiring Highly Qualified Human Resources (PME or CoLAB).
How to Apply
To the care of the Chief Executive Officer of InnovPlantProtect Collaborative Lab, Professor Pedro Fevereiro (email@example.com).
To apply for this position, the following documents should be sent in a single PDF document:
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Motivation letter
- Two reference contacts
- Statement of honour that CV content is accurate.
(Please note that Degrees obtained in foreign countries need a Portuguese Recognition issued by a Portuguese high degree Institution, according to the Decree-Law nr. 66/2018, of August 16th and the Ministerial Order nr. 33/2019, of January 25th. The presentation of such Recognition is mandatory for contract signature. More information can be obtained in: https://www.dges.gov.pt/en/pagina/degree-and-diploma-recognition)
This call is open from November 22nd to December 11st, 2022, with a decision expected by December 23rd.
Generalrules of data protection (GDPR)
With the entry into force of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 April 2016, commonly known as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and in order to ensure a fair and transparent treatment of the holder of the data, InnovPlantProtect informs that by applying for this position you are authorizing InnovPlantProtect to (1) collect and process your personal data deemed necessary and relevant to this recruitment process, (2) to disclose the results of the evaluation in accordance with the legislation in force.