The Research Institute of Organic Agriculture FiBL is one of the world’s leading research institutions in the field of organic agriculture and employs around 220 people in Switzerland. FiBL’s strengths are interdisciplinary research, joint innovations with farmers and the food industry as well as rapid knowledge transfer. FiBL Switzerland’s expertise is also in demand beyond the country’s borders. It is therefore involved in numerous international projects, research, extension and training, as well as development cooperation.
Starting from February 1, 2023, or by arrangement, the Department of Food System Sciences is looking for a qualified researcher in agricultural/food system modelling and environmental impact assessment (80 – 100 %).
- As an expert in agricultural and food system modelling and environmental impact assessments, you will be responsible for developing and applying quantitative assessment methods to analyse agricultural and food systems’ environmental, social and economic performance.
- You will work in and coordinate national and international projects exploring trade-offs and synergies between various sustainability aspects at food systems level aiming to provide a scientific and practice-relevant contribution to the transformation of such systems.
- You have a good understanding of socio-ecological processes in agri-food systems and are enthusiastic about contributing to a food system that remains within planetary boundaries.
- A Masters or Doctorate in Environmental or Agricultural Sciences or a related field
- Experience in environmental and socio-economic impact modelling of agriculture and food systems
- Advanced coding skills in R or GAMS, or Python
- Experience in structuring databases and a strong motivation to work with complex datasets
- Experience with Life Cycle Assessment and a keen understanding of nitrogen and carbon cycle are an advantage
- Ability to work independently as well as within interdisciplinary teams
- Excellent knowledge of German and English, both written and spoken
What we offer
FiBL offers a workplace culture characterised by efficient, uncomplicated work and numerous opportunities to help shape the institute. As a research institute with a great global network, we consider training opportunities and further education for our employees highly important. Arrangements for working from home, flexible annual working hours and the possibility of part-time work or job-sharing create a good work-life balance. FiBL employees also enjoy excellent organic food at our in-house restaurant and a workplace surrounded by a lush and green landscape.
Does this position interest you? Dr. Adrian Müller, senior researcher Email: firstname.lastname@example.org at the Department of Food System Sciences, will be happy to answer any further questions. We would be pleased to receive your application documents by 12 December 2022, via email@example.com.