ETH Zurich is ranked 29 in Best Global Universities. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence. At ETH Zurich, students discover an ideal environment for independent thinking, researchers a climate which inspires top performance. Situated in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, ETH Zurich is pioneering effective solutions to the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
The Niu Lab at ETH Zurich is seeking a motivated, team-oriented individual with a strong interest in the interface of basic and applied research in agricultural and animal nutrition sciences to enhance understanding of nutrient utilization efficiency and improve the sustainability of livestock systems.
The potential research topics include:
- Investigate dietary strategies to mitigate environmental impacts (GHG emissions and N excretions) of dairy cattle
- Understand the gut microbial composition of dairy cattle in response to dietary changes
- Assess the impact of climate changes on dairy cattle
- Integrate precision dairy farming technologies and data analysis, mathematical and statistical modelling and artificial intelligence to improve the health and welfare of dairy cattle
This job advertisement includes two distinct research opportunities and you are expected to indicate your preferred research topic(s):
- Investigating dietary strategies and their interactions to mitigate negative environmental impacts (GHG emissions and N excretions) of dairy cattle
- Characterizing methane emissions and assessing feed and feeding management strategies to mitigate methane emissions from grassland-based dairy systems
- A master’s degree in Animal Science, Biology, Agricultural Science, Nutrition Science, Food Science, Veterinary Medicine or related disciplines.
- Experience with nutritional physiology, microbiology, and statistics is preferable.
- Writing scientific papers requires good knowledge of the English language.
We offer exciting and future-oriented projects in a highly motivated research group that is equipped with excellent experimental and laboratory facilities. These are provided at the research centre AgroVet-Strickhof which is where you will be located. Supervision will be close but allows independent work. Scientific writing and participation in scientific conferences are very much supported. The duration of the position is three years, and starting date of the successful applicants is expected to be early 2023 but with flexibility.
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- A complete Curriculum Vitae
- A statement (up to 1,000 words) describing your motivation, experience and indicating potential research topics of interest from those listed in the job advertisement
- Bachelor and Master transcripts and certificates (incomplete MSc. transcript is fine if you are finishing the MSc. study)
- Names, affiliation, and contact details for 3 individuals willing to act as a reference
- Master’s thesis as a pdf file (if available)
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Prof. Niu, email email@example.com (no applications).
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.