The mission of the Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF) as a nationally and internationally active research institute is to deliver solutions for an ecologically, economically and socially sustainable agriculture – together with society. ZALF is a member of the Leibniz Association and is located in Müncheberg (approx. 35 minutes by regional train from Berlin-Lichtenberg). It also maintains a research station with further locations in Dedelow and Paulinenaue.
As part of the Horizon Europe Soil Mission, the EU funded 5-year project „BENCHMAKRKS“ will develop an monitoring framework for the assessment of soil health. Indicators and their respective thresholds will be defined for different land uses (agriculture, forestry, urban) at different spatial scales (local, landscape, region, Europe).
Within Benchmarks, ZALF will lead a workpackage on integrating the BENCHMARKS framework into monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) schemes. Furthermore, ZALF will take the lead in building a strategy to facilitate adoption and lasting implementation of the soil health indicators developed by BENCHMARKS.
Starting as soon as possible and limited until end of 2027, we offer a full-time position (up to 100% of weekly working hours) as:
Scientist (Postdoc): Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) of Soil Health Indicators
- analyse coverage and structure of existing MRV systems at local, national and international level with regard to soil health
- identify indicator requirements for MRV of soil health at multiple levels and across all land use types (agriculture, forestry, urban)
- work at the interface between soil science and stakeholder needs for MRV
- build a strategy to facilitate adoption and lasting implementation of the soil health indicators developed by the project
- collaborate with an international and interdisciplinary team of scientists
- lead a work-package in an international research project
- publish your results in scientific journals
- PhD in Agronomy, Environmental Sciences, or related discipline
- proven work experience at the science-policy interface
- sound understanding of soil and land management (agriculture, forestry, urban)
- sound understanding of the concept of soil health
- basic understanding of soil related MRV at International, European and national level
- proven publication skills
- ideally, experience in work with institutions responsible for (soil-)monitoring at national and international level
What we offer:
- a salary according to the collective agreement of the German federal states (TV-L) up to E13 (including special annual payment)
- an interdisciplinary, motivating and collaborative research environment
- research themes that are both scientifically intriguing and socially relevant
- well established national and international scientific networks
- room for scientific maneuver and support in career development
- a rural landscape environment with high recreation value that is just a 45 min train ride from Berlin
- company ticket
Women are particularly encouraged to apply. Applications from severely disabled persons with equal qualifications are favored. It is generally possible to work in the position on a part-time basis. Please send your application preferably online (see button online application below). For e-mail applications, create a PDF document (one PDF file, max. 5 MB; packed PDF documents, archive files like zip, rar etc. Word documents cannot be processed and therefore cannot be considered!) with the usual documents, in particular CV, proof of qualification and certificates, stating the reference number 151-2022 until 10. January 2023 to (see button e-mail application below).
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us:. Dr. Carsten Paul, Tel. +49 (0) 33432/82-327, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application documents sent by post or extensive publications will not be returned
For cost reasons, application documents or extensive publications can only be returned if an adequately stamped envelope is attached.
If you apply, we collect and process your personal data in accordance with Articles 5 and 6 of the EU GDPR only for the processing of your application and for purposes that result from possible future employment with the ZALF. Your data will be deleted after six months.