Spatial Wildlife Ecology Lab: We are interested in determining how spatial and behavioral processes such as movement and habitat selection scale up to affect the demography and distribution of multiple sympatric species. Our research is quantitative and tackles both fundamental and applied problems. We answer these questions using a variety of systems and approaches.
PhD assistantship – Variation in white-tailed deer movement behavior and physiology:
The Spatial Wildlife Ecology Lab and Physiological Ecology Lab at Southern Illinois University is seeking an outstanding PhD or MS student beginning May 2023. The student’s project will focus on the movement ecology of white-tailed deer and on the potential impacts of physiological and immune condition, assessed via biomarkers, on deer behavior.
The incoming student will have access to long-term data on white-tailed deer movement in Illinois and have the opportunity to shape their project around their interest and qualifications. The academic home for the position is at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, Illinois under the supervision of Dr. Guillaume Bastille-Rousseau and Dr. Robin Warne.
• MS (for PhD applicants) or BSc (for MS applicants) in Ecology, Wildlife Ecology, or Biology, or a closely related field, with a strong academic record
• Excellent quantitative skills. Substantial experience in R and ArcGIS software. Previous experience with animal tracking data is highly desired
• Experience working in a lab setting is also desirable
• Ecological knowledge regarding movement ecology
• Ability to perform fieldwork
• Experience in trapping mammals is desirable
• Excellent written and oral communication skills including a demonstrated ability or potential to publish in peer-reviewed journals
• Motivated with an excellent work ethic
To apply: Submit a single pdf that includes a cover letter summarizing your qualifications and interest in the position, followed by CV, unofficial transcripts, and contact information for three references to Dr. Guillaume Bastille-Rousseau (firstname.lastname@example.org). Contact Person Guillaume Bastille-Rousseau Contact eMail email@example.com
Salary ~20,000$ +tuition and benefits
Start Date 05/01/2023
Last Date to Apply 02/15/2023