Montana State University is a public institution that was founded in 1893. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 14,668 (fall 2021), its setting is city, and the campus size is 956 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. Montana State University’s ranking in the 2022-2023 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 263.
Ph.D. Graduate Research Assistantship: Sharp-tailed Grouse Reintroduction – Montana;
Description: I seek a highly motivated Ph.D. student to study the population and spatial ecology of reintroduced sharp-tailed grouse in western Montana. This funded 4-year study is a collaboration between Montana State University, Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife, and Parks, and NGOs. The successful applicant will use a variety of telemetry technologies (GPS, VHF, Motus) and quantitative approaches (e.g., integrated population models, integrated step selection analyses) to evaluate the demography, population viability, space use, movements, and habitat selection of translocated grouse in beautiful western Montana.
The project will provide information needed to improve translocation success while advancing theory in reintroduction biology. Opportunities to address other research questions exist, depending on the interests of the student. The student will be expected to work collaboratively with government biologists and technicians as well as other graduate students. The student will work toward a Ph.D. in either Ecology and Environmental Science or Animal and Range Sciences (student’s choice).
- M.S. in wildlife management, natural resources, ecology, or a closely related discipline
- GPA of > 3.0
- Previous field and animal handling experience
- Experience planning and coordinating daily field activities
- Experience conducting independent research
- Ability to work long hours in rugged terrain, sometimes in extreme conditions (heat, cold)
- A valid US driver license (without restrictions)
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Strong interest in the ecology and conservation of game birds
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Record of publication (in progress is fine)
- Strong verbal and quantitative abilities
- Experience capturing and handling prairie grouse
- Experience with radio telemetry
- Experience with quantitative methods in population and spatial ecology using R
- Experience with technical writing and/or publication
Please combine the following into a single PDF file: (1) 1–2-page cover letter that details why you are interested in this position, your most relevant experiences, and your professional goals/aspirations; (2) a Curriculum Vitae; (3) contact information for 3 references (i.e., name, affiliation, email, and phone number); (4) unofficial GRE scores; and (5) unofficial transcripts. Include your last name in the file title. Email to email@example.com no later than 15 January 2023. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Contact Person Lance McNew Contact eMail firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary $30,000 plus tuition
Start Date 08/01/2023
Last Date to Apply 01/15/2023