The Institute of Landscape and Plant Ecology, Department of Plant Ecology, is looking for a Research Associate to work on a subproject of the collaborative project starting March 1, 2023: HUMAX “Potentials of agroforestry and agri-photovoltaic systems for maximizing humus buildup and carbon storage on agricultural land”.
In the joint project HUMAX with project partners in Hohenheim, Freiburg, Offenburg, Geisenheim, Müncheberg and Jülich different measures for humus enrichment on arable land will be investigated in combination with agrivoltaic and agroforestry systems.
The aim is to identify possible synergies between the measures and to show combined application options. In this context, the combination with agroforestry systems opens up further potentials as a carbon sink, in addition to the humus enrichment, since the trees and shrubs store carbon in the above-ground and below-ground biomass. In addition, a large substitution potential exists through the wood products and the cut material produced during the management of the trees.
- Apply plant ecological approaches to quantify the effects of humus enrichment and shading on the performance of plants in agroforestry and agrivoltaics systems.
- Ecophysiological investigations with a focus on carbon and water relations of crops and shading woody plants.
- Measurements of crop yields and yield quality under different environmental conditions with a special focus on shading.
- Analysis of the samples in the laboratory and evaluation of the data.
- Presentation of results at conferences, preparation of project reports and publication of results in relevant international scientific journals.
- Close cooperation with the partners in the collaborative project HUMAX.
- Completed studies in Biology, Ecology or in a related discipline such as e.g. geoecology.
- Experience in scientific working, proven e.g. by an above-average thesis.
- Experience with ecophysiological approaches and advanced skills with the programming language R.
- Experience with sampling in the field, lab experiences.
- A secure knowledge of spoken and written English, a good knowledge of German is advantageous.
- Car driving license (class B).
- High level of stress resilience, motivation, initiative, flexibility and the ability to work in a team.
In case of equal suitability, preference for employment will be given to handicapped persons. Since the university would like to increase its percentage of female scientists, applications from women are especially welcome.
Please attach the following documents to your application: The salary is according to payment group E13 TV-L (65% of the regular working time). The position is initially limited to three years with the possibility of extension. There is furthermore the possibility of doing a PhD within the project.
If you are interested, please apply with your curriculum vitae, certificates, letter of motivation (max. 2. pages) and two references via this application platform of the University of Hohenheim Application deadline: January 20, 2023 For further questions, please contact Jun.-Prof. Dr. Andreas Schweiger (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The University of Hohenheim accepts applications via a secure internet site. To the application
Application deadline : 20.01.2023