The Institute of Soil Science and Land Evaluation, Department of Soil Biology (Prof. Ellen Kandeler, Dr. Sven Marhan), is seeking a Scientific Assistant to work on a sub-project of the collaborative project starting March 1, 2023: HUMAX “Potentials of agroforestry and agri-PV systems for maximizing humus buildup and carbon storage on agricultural land.” Remuneration is according to pay group E13 TV-L (65% of regular working hours).
The position is initially limited to three years. Total project duration of HUMAX: 1.3.2023-28.2.2029. There is the possibility of a doctorate. About the project: In the HUMAX joint project (project partners in Hohenheim, Freiburg, Offenburg, Geisenheim, Müncheberg and Jülich), various measures for humus build-up in different combinations (catch crops, winter greening, undersowing, compost application, biochar application) are to be investigated on arable land. A unique feature of the HUMAX project is that these measures will be applied in combination with agri-photovoltaic systems and agroforestry systems.
The aim is to identify possible synergies of the measures and to show combined application options. The combination with agroforestry systems opens up further potentials as a carbon sink, in addition to the humus build-up, since the trees and shrubs store carbon in the above- and below-ground biomass and also bring with them a large substitution potential through the wood products and the material accumulating during the management of the woody plants.
- Planning, organizing, and conducting soil sampling on farmers’ croplands and in field experiments.
- Laboratory analysis of the samples and evaluation of the carbon storage data
- Presentation of results at conferences, preparation of project reports and publication of results in relevant international scientific journals
- Close cooperation with the two project partners at the University of Hohenheim and in the joint project HUMAX
- Completed academic university studies in agricultural or environmental sciences, biology, or a related field.
- Proficiency in scientific work as demonstrated by an above average senior thesis
- Laboratory experience and field sampling experience
- Very good command of written and spoken English, knowledge of German is helpful
- Car driving license (class B)
- and a high level of motivation, initiative, flexibility and the ability to work in a team
Advantageous would be:
- Experience in soil biological analysis methods and laboratory work
- Experience in presentation and publishing of scientific results
In case of equal suitability, severely disabled persons will be given preference for employment. As the university would like to increase its proportion of female scientists, applications from women are particularly welcome.
Please attach the following documents to your application: If you are interested, please apply with the following documents: curriculum vitae, certificates, letter of motivation (max. 2. pages) and two references.
The University of Hohenheim accepts applications via a secure internet site. To the application
Application deadline : 20.01.2023