University of Georgia is a public institution that was founded in 1785. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 30,166 (fall 2021), its setting is city, and the campus size is 767 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. University of Georgia’s ranking in the 2022-2023 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 49.
Dr. Guoming Li at the Department of Poultry Science is seeking Ph.D. graduate student assistants in integrative precision poultry science. Graduate Research Assistantship will be provided through the Department of Poultry Science and cover tuition, health insurance, and stipends. Stipends will be commensurate with education, experience, and skillsets.
Preferred start dates are Spring, Summer, or Fall 2023. The research group’s mission is to conduct cutting-edge research on integrated precision management/applications of digital technologies, data analytics, automations, or models to modern poultry production systems. Potential research topics include poultry smart sensing and environmental control, applied artificial intelligence, robotics, automated animal welfare assessment, digital phenotyping, three-dimensional reconstruction, and automatic behavior monitoring and analytics.
Students will be expected to publish research work in refereed journals and disseminate results in national/international conferences. Prospective individuals should own the following qualifications or present fast-learning abilities for programming and precision technologies.
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. degree in poultry science, animal science, agricultural or biosystems engineering, computer science/engineering, electrical engineering, automation, or related fields
- Experience in computer programming (e.g., Python, MATLAB, C++/C, Java, ROS, Arduino), computer vision or image processing, sensors, machine/deep learning, or robotics, with peer-reviewed research records (e.g., journal publications)
- Willingness to work in farm environments and poultry for data acquisition and research implementation
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written formats
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team.
Self-motivated individuals with strong interests in the abovementioned research topics and skillsets are highly recommended to apply for the positions. Interested applicants should contact Dr. Guoming Li (email@example.com) and enclose a PDF copy of the following documents in a communication email: 1) cover letter describing qualifications, experience, and future research plans; 2) resume/CV; 3) unofficial electronic transcript of the highest degree awarded; 4) GRE and TOEFL scores (if applicable); 5) contact information for three professional references including names, email, address, and affiliation. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled, and subsequent interviews will be requested for potential candidates.