Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities.
With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- At least 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research in the research group Comparative Network Biology of the department Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics; this in the following domains : bioinformatics, computational biology, systems biology and single-cell data analysis.
- You will assist in teaching activities at Bachelor’s or Master’s level. More specifically, you will help with practical classes, seminars and master’s projects of courses related to bioinformatics and systems biology that are taught in the framework of the Bachelor and Master in Biochemistry and Biotechnology and the Master in Bioinformatics.
- You will counsel Master’s students in their exercises, work placement and Master’s dissertation.
- You will counsel doctoral students.
- You will assist in the internal and external services of the department, amongst others as a point of contact for students following the BIS (bioinformatics and systems biology) option of the Master in Biochemistry and Biotechnology and for students of the Master in Bioinformatics. You will act as a representative for the field of bioinformatics and systems biology during information sessions.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a doctoral degree (Doctor of Science: Bioinformatics, Doctor of Science: Biochemistry, Doctor of Science: Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Doctor of Bioscience Engineering, or a subject considered relevant by the selection committee). For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You have already conducted research within the field of computational biology, machine learning or systems biology in plants.
- You have distinguished yourself as a promising researcher during your doctorate.
- You are profoundly interested in coaching students in the Bachelor’s, Master’s and/or Advanced Master’s programmes.
- You can present relevant scientific publications in (inter)national peer-reviewed academic journals that are widely disseminated.
- You have good communication and didactic skills.
- You are fluent in written and spoken English; knowledge of Dutch is a plus.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a temporary appointment of 3 years. A second appointment of up to 3 years can follow, subject to a favourable evaluation of the first term.
- Even if you have already been appointed earlier (whether or not at another university and whether or not in the same field of discipline) in a first term of up to three years, you can apply.
- The second appointment does not have to be immediately connected to a first term.
- Your appointment will start on 1 April 2023 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP5.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 36 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc.
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv and an overview of your relevant scientific (merged into one pdf file).
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format.
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted.. For diplomas awarded in the UK before January 31st of 2020, a certificate of equivalence is not required.
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
→ Apply until 24/01/2023 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels time)
→ Faculty of Sciences
→ Department WE09 – Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics
→ AAP temporary appointment – 100%
→ Number of openings: 1
→ Reference number: 202210/WE09/DA/032