The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz Association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources. PhD position (f/m/x)Topic: Modelling ecological and socio-economic impacts of grasslands
The PhD Colleg LISA with 4 Phd positions will be launched in 2023. LISA is about exploring the multifunctionality of cultural landscapes in Germany and to examine the effects of climate change and land use in a model-based framework.
This position (doctoral student #2) will study managed grassland ecosystems by coupling a grassland model with a soil model for regions in Germany. The aim is to understand the role of management and soil type for ecosystem functioning and the impact of policy instruments for grassland extension within regions.
- Coupling an individual-based grassland model (GRASSMIND) with a dynamic soil model (BODIUM) and its parameterization for regions in Germany
- Analyzing and understanding the role of management and soil type at the local field scale for grassland ecosystem functioning at larger scales
- Combining yield simulations of GRASSMIND-BODIUM with an agent-based model DroughtMAS parameterized and analyzed for scenarios of grassland policy impacts
- Collaboration among the four doctoral students within the PhD college (e.g., discussion groups, synthesis paper, joint conference attendance)
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application
- Work in interdisciplinary, multinational teams
- Excellent links with national and international research networks
- Excellent support and optimal subject-specific and general training with our HIGRADE graduate school
- Remuneration in accordance with the TVöD public-sector pay grade 13 (65%)
- An excellent master’s degree in a relevant field of research, including system sciences, mathematics, physics, geography
- Expertise in process-based modelling and analyzing complex systems
- Proficiency in computer programming (e.g. C++, R, Python)
- Deep interest in investigating integrative ecological, soil-physical and socio-ecological/‑economic dynamics of grassland ecosystems
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English and ambition to publish in international journals
- High motivation to work in an international and interdisciplinary team
The UFZ has a strong commitment to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age or sexual identity.
We look forward to applications from people who are open-minded and enjoy working in diverse teams.
Place of work:
65% (25.35 h/week)
limited contract / 3 years
Remuneration according to the TVöD public-sector up to pay grade 13 including attractive public-sector social security benefits.
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job:Dr. Franziska Taubert
Please submit your application via our online portal with your cover letter, CV (please omit your photo, age, or marital status) and relevant attachments.
Umweltforschung GmbH – UFZ
04318 Leipzig, Germany