The AIT Austrian Institute of Technology, Austria’s largest non-university research institute, is among the European research institutes a specialist in the key infrastructure issues of the future. As an Ingenious Partner to industry and public institutions, AIT is already researching and developing the technologies, methods and tools of tomorrow – paving the way for the innovations of the day after tomorrow.
The Republic of Austria (through the Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology) has a share of 50.46%, while the Federation of Austrian Industries owns 49.54% of the AIT Austrian Institute of Technology. In Austria, there are over 1.100 employees – largely based at the main facilities Vienna Tech Gate, Vienna TECHbase, Seibersdorf, Wr. Neustadt, Ranshofen, Graz and Leoben – working on the development of those tools, technologies and solutions for Austrian industry considered to be of future relevance and which comply with the institute’s motto “Tomorrow Today”.
We are Austria’s largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes us a powerful development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our Center for Health & Bioresources in Tulln (in immediate vicinity to Vienna) invites applications for a: PhD Thesis in the field of Plant Genetics & Bioinformatics – Center for Health & Bioresources –
- In our Competence Unit Bioresources in Tulln, we make advancements in sustainable crop production through applying state-of-the art molecular methods.
- We are working towards improving the plant quality with focusing on the analysis of factors involved in plant stress tolerance.
- You will be part of the WheatVIZ project funded by the d4agrotech initiative.
- As part of this PhD thesis, you will deal intensively with the topic of genetic factors underlying drought tolerance of wheat.
- Under the guidance of our team, you will perform DNA extraction and estimate physiological parameters by using molecular kits.
- You will apply bioinformatic tools and pipelines to correlate the genetic fingerprint with phenotypic parameters.
- Besides the classical GWAS approach the aim of this thesis is to implement a machine learning approach for the prediction of drought tolerance in wheat.
- You will work towards the establishment of easy-to-use genotyping assay for a fast genetic detection of drought tolerance.
- Your results will contribute to a deeper understanding of which factors are involved in conferring drought tolerance and can thus be used in future breeding programs.
- You will gain experience in the area of SNP analysis, genotype ~ phenotype association, drought tolerance in plants, establishment of a machine learning-based prediction model.
- You train scientific working and have the opportunity to discuss experiences with scientific experts.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner:
- Master studies in the field of biology, computational biology, bioinformatics
- Good knowledge in genetics and bioinformatic approaches (genomics, GWAS)
- Experience with machine learning implementations is a plus
- Hands-on experience in a molecular laboratory
- High level of commitment and team spirit
- Good knowledge of English in word and writing
What to expect:
EUR 32.204,20 gross per month for 30 hours/week based on the collective agreement. There will be additional company benefits. You will be part of our international AIT PhD community and participate in our AIT PhD framework program. As a research institution, we are familiar with the supervision and execution of PhD theses, and we are looking forward to supporting you accordingly!
At AIT, the promotion of diversity is important to us – that’s why we are especially looking forward to applications from female students! Please submit your application documents including CV, cover letter and certificates online.
For further information please contact:
Dr. Eva M. Molin, email@example.com
TOMORROW TODAY – WITH YOU?
Please submit your application documents including CV, cover letter and certificates online via: APPLY NOW
For further information please contact:
Dr. Eva M. Molin, eva-maria.molin(at)ait.ac.at